Cooking with Fire Ring CI

WallyF

We have a smooth top ceramic electric stove in the kitchen. Any opinions about the performance of skillets with a fire ring? That is, does the fire ring have a noticeable impact on the heat transfer to the skillet?

Wally ,

I'm guessing that opinions here may vary . Your questions intrigued me... I just took an empty unmarked BSR #8 (with heat ring) 10 1/4 " and placed it on my induction cooktop. (Kenmore Elite), set my temp to medium (5.5) and used my Thermapen to check the temperature at 1 min. , 2 min, and 3 min.. Reading locations were dead center of the skillet, 12:00, 15:00, 18:00, and 21:00. Temp readings at all locations were within 1-2 degrees of each other . I stopped readings at 120 degrees (still climbing) as I deemed the heat distribution to be equivalent across the skillet (or at least close enough for this citizen scientist !) ;) . YMMV.

Charles

Charles, that is an interesting experiment, but it doesn’t answer Wally’s question, as you are not comparing apples to apples as the saying goes.

Here is a direct quote form Wikipedia, “Induction cooking heats a cooking vessel by magnetic induction, instead of by thermal conduction from a flame, or an electrical heating element”.

Since ceramic electric heats by thermal conduction the affect of the ‘fire ring’ is not the same as heating by magnetic induction. I don’t use ceramic electric stovetops, I only use induction cooking units or propane, so I can’t answer Wally’s question either. Hopefully someone that uses ceramic electric stovetops will provide a definite answer.

Cheers!!... Eldon

You are correct. I was most interested in my application. Mea Maxima Culpa for the disinformation. Maybe someone here will run a demonstration test that indicates the data needed to answer Wally's query.

Charles

Maybe someone here will run a demonstration test that indicates the data needed to answer Wally's query.

Charles

Maybe the someone who asked the question and actually has the ceramic stove top can do the test and report back their findings. If I recall correctly, heat ring/no heat ring on ceramic stove tops work just fine. Just don't slide your CI across or drop it on the stove top.

I have a smooth top electric range as well. I cook with skillets that have a heat ring and those without as well. I haven't noticed any difference in cooking performance. Although I do prefer a smooth bottoms for reasons unknown to me.

Thanks to all of you responding. The reason for the question is to determine whether I should obtain a fire ring skillet when the opportunity arises. I asked the question just in case you had experience to suggest I should only go for smooth bottom skillets. When the opportunity arises, I plan to get a fire ring and will then report how it performs, if I can detect a difference.

Wally

Considering that a smooth glass cooktop will make glaringly obvious any minor warp or bump in a smooth bottom skillet, a heat ring version may actually be preferable. As long as you're careful not to scratch the glass. Confirms for me, though, that I'm glad I have gas burners.

Back