Attempt at Swedish Pancakes....

CDLaine

A while back my bride found a 7 spot cast iron Plett pan/skillet for use in making Swedish style pancakes. On the internet I borrowed an "original" Swedish recipe and gave it a try. I substituted half the required milk for buttermilk, but, other than that I stuck with the original recipe...(folks here like the almost sourdough taste the buttermilk provides). On this first effort I lacked the skill set to make them as crepe like thin as the Swedes prefer... but, the important thing, the teenager says "good". Will try "thinner" next pass. The internet author says they can be frozen for later use... so, I doubled the recipe and made an industrial strength batch. Served with maple syrup and homemade jalapeno jelly. :glutton::tasty:
Charles
http://imgur.com/nv6OnAe
http://imgur.com/gdISguA

Recipe... http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-swedish-pancakes-97291

Last edited:
It will be difficult to get them to be thin using buttermilk. Notice the recipe calls for skim milk, buttermilk is a rising agent in pancake recipes to make them fluffy. My wife is Swedish, she taught me how to make them. I still prefer the fluffy buttermilk pancakes my Mom made. I love the pan!

Agree.... a trade-off.... sure do like my buttermilk cakes.... I'll try the recommended skim (under duress)...just to say I made real "Swedish" pancakes using the Plett pan. (But first I got to grind my way thru this big pile of leftover cakes....a difficult task but I'll take the hit.). :chuckle:

the skillet is cool... perfect roundness appeals to my Type A.

Charles

I had buttermilk pancakes today. No kids to blow thru them at home anymore, so, I cook and freeze leftovers. Thanks for reminding me they were in the freezer.

hehehehe ! SR, made me giggle. The Princess and I snuck a few of the frozen ones in the microwave... then drowned them with Maple syrup. Mercy ! Living large.

p.s. did it before the teenager woke up.... sleep in, miss out. My Dad's rule... which I now own.

Charles

Tradition is a great thing, Charles, but you made a real yummy there!:tasty: (Do let us know how the thin ones turn out.) In re your last comment, the phrase I've heard is "If you snooze--you lose."

"if you snooze...you lose" !

indeed. ;)

Sharon.... we are already in the discussion phase of the next batch... or, maybe aebleskivers ! :icon_thumbsup:

Charles

I believe that is an Aebleskiver pan. Hard to tell without a side view of the pan. The ones i am thinking of, you have to turn them with a crochet hook for true traditional appeal. they are intended to be round balls, not semi spherical. you can also add apple sauce to them during the turning process to make them have a surprise in the center other than raw uncooked dough.

I have one of those pans very similar to yours. we only use it on Christmas morning due to the incredible pain in the butt it is to make them. LOL

It's a plett pan, with flat, circular depressions, as opposed to an aebelskiver's hemispherical hollows.

Back