Help with large cauldron, wash pot

JacquesN

I have a large cast iron cauldron or wash pot with no discernible markings on the bottom. Can anyone tell me, from looking at the photos, approximately how old it is, and what it might be worth? Thank you.
Image Image

Pieces like this one, especially if unmarked, are hard to pin down. While it certainly appears older, the casting technology used on large pieces like it continued to be used long after other more modern techniques had become the norm for cookware. Therefore, we see the bottom gating or sprue marks on large kettles still being made at a time when skillets, etc. had all moved to side gating. Yours has what appears to be both a sprue and a gate mark, indicating the possibility that it was a copy made using an older vessel as a pattern.

Thanks Doug. I don't think this piece has a gate mark. The straight "line" that appears across the vessel (inverted photo, top) is actually just a mark where the vessel sat slightly buried in the ground, in a side-cocked manner. Does this change your opinion of the piece, and are you able to give a more certain estimate of age and value? Thanks.

Generally speaking, pieces with the round sprue mark are dated before the mid to late 18th century; gate-marked pieces late 18th to late 19th, or later in the case of large format pieces.

Well, I need to sell this item to meet some unexpected expenses. Given the size, apparent condition, and estimated age, do you have a ballpark of what I might expect to receive in a private sale? Thanks again.

Not having dealt with this type of item personally, I think I would do a completed listings search on eBay to see what similar ones are selling for (or not).

I did that, but could not find listings for older examples like this, especially larger ones (32" diameter). Anyone else have any idea of value? Thanks for your time Doug.

Personally, I would place little value on the pot, mostly because I do not see how it would be nice to have around or for what to use it. While rare and large, what would anyone do with it other than to make it a lawn ornament? To me it is not attractive and has no pleasing style. On the other hand, someone out there may be interested but how do you find that person? Shipping would be too expensive. You could put it on ebay to test the waters starting it at a price you want to get. Or start it at $10 and see if it's worth more than that. I have never seen a piece like that but, if I have, I would not remember it. That's one chunk of iron and it would be interesting to know what it's original use was for. The legs on the sides are different.

In terms of value unfortunately you'll be disappointed on this. Your best bet might well be your local craigslist and selling it as a "decorator" piece. While many CI collectors like these larger pieces, without manufacturer markings or something which specifies the origin, few of us are willing to pay much for pieces like that. If you are lucky and you find the right buyer (more likely someone looking for decor than use) maybe you'd get $150, realistically I think $75 is more likely.

just my opinion of course, but I do a lot of buying and selling.

I saw one of those recently at an antique store and asked the owner about it, he was an old timer and said that it was a feed trough for horses and cattle. I wasnt interested in buying just curious what it was so i didnt ask the price.

Back