Anyone recognize this waffle iron?

RobM

Might be a Canadian piece, but I was hoping someone would recognize this waffle iron. It's about 6" wide and hinged.

Attachments

• WI2.jpg
    WI2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 109
  • WI1.jpg
    WI1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 125
No, I have not seen anything like that before. The hinge and design say nineteenth century. I will say from a cooks standpoint this is the worst design I have ever seen, so it should be pretty rare. Hopefully one of a kind.

Hilditch

The design for that time period is not that unusual. Nothing about it makes me think Canadian, however. They function more easily than you might think, given the lack of convenient handling features.

I can see it working well over a stove eye Doug, the clam faces downward when flipping it but it doesn't open. Would need to lift it to use it on today's stoves.

Do you have any examples of these waffle irons? Is there a particular name for this style? The numbers look like a foundry out of eastern Canada.

Might be a Canadian piece, but I was hoping someone would recognize this waffle iron. It's about 6" wide and hinged.

I have one exact like yours,if you have it on a wood stove just push it down and it will flip by it self,just hold it up on the air by the handle and push it on the little hook and see how it flips:eek:

The numbers refer to the sizes of stove eyes it will fit. I have no idea who made them but I will say this is the roughest cast waffle iron I have seen. I didn't buy the WI and the base together so I am not sure if they are manufactured by the same place. The base is a much smoother casting than the WI.

The base of mine is a little rough, but it was due to rust. The WI platters are in pretty good shape, the insides are lovely.

I was hoping it would be Canadian, not looking that way :(

RobM, I was just noticing the similarity in the handle of our waffle irons to the second skillet Jeffrey posted in this thread. It doesn't help identify the maker but I think it does give some indication as to the age of the WI.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2806

I see this handle quite often. I just picked up 2 small griddles with the same style. Not sure if one or more foundries were involved.
Here is another skillet with the same style.
P%252526W_9431.jpg

P%252526W_9428.jpg

Pratt and Wentworth, Boston? Take a look at the handle on the skillet...

Attachments

• pratt.jpg
    pratt.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 37
Back