My First Cast Iron Skillet Set

B Barnes

I'm new to cast iron skillet cooking. I've got several Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch oven pieces, but I haven't done any cast iron skillet cooking. So I'm needing to learn proper handling, care, storage, and all that jazz. I grabbed a 3-piece Wagner Ware set off of EBAY. I no doubt over-paid, but for someone else's time cleaning and restoring the three pieces, it seemed reasonable. Time is money.

I'd like to add a 4th piece at some point... the 10" with deep 3" sides, but I'm gonna get to know these three pieces first.

I'm not really interested in "collecting"... just wanting a good set to put to routine use.

36257458_10156407141552394_5228106381948616704_n.jpg

36276627_10156407141537394_6239549413262360576_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good starter set and should you need to replace any of those pieces they are most readily available from various antique stores flea markets and the such.
There's a lot of info on the drop-downs here on CIC that is useful for cleaning , storage, maintenance and the such.
Good luck with your new purchase.

They look good! The first thing I learned when starting out cooking in cast iron was to lower the heat. Should give you lots of good meals!

The best advice I can give a newer user is don’t sweat it when something sticks, or when the seasoning looks splotchy and uneven after using it. It’s going to happen until the pan builds up a good layer of seasoning and until you and the pan get used to working together! Resist the urge to strip and re-season the pan. Just keep cooking in it and the seasoning will even itself out. You have a great set that will outlast a pickup truck load of Teflon pans!

Back