Is This a Filley?

WR Thomas

Sorry to be so 'Post Happy', but I'm loving these old skillets that I'm finding.... Here's another one that I got last weekend, it was pretty gunky. Took it out of the lye bath today and cleaned it up. Nice old #7, gate marked and a large raised 'Y'.... You can even see the mill marks inside the skillet. I believe this to be an old Excelsior (G. F. Filley).... Am I right Doug?

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5406.jpg
    IMG_5406.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 66
I'm thinking a Filley would more likely be marked than not. The outside heat ring is also inconsistent with Filley, AFAIK. What source of information led you to your assumption?

Thanks for the link up Doug, I've learned my lesson there.... My comparison source in thinking this could be an Excelsior or Filley was having run across a single marked Excelsior skillet awhile back. I think D Madden actually narrowed it down for me when having mentioned the underside of the skillet handle, I cannot remember having really studied the underside of Excelsiors' handle. This skillet has a mostly plain underside to its handle....

On these older pieces, I wouldn't try to inductively assume a maker based on handle similarity. Only if the handle and everything else precisely matched a marked piece would I begin to question the possibility. Even then, rampant copying of the era could mean someone else just used the known maker's product as, or as the basis for, a pattern. In that case, one would expect the copy to be slightly smaller due to iron shrinkage.

Back