Post Happy, Sorry but This is Fun....

WR Thomas

I posted the comment below at the end of a thread I should've ended sooner probably. I'm still looking for some confirmation with regards to manufacture of this neat old little skillet:

Sorry to be so 'Post Happy', but I'm loving these old skillets that I'm finding.... Here's another one that I got last weekend, it was pretty gunky. Took it out of the lye bath today and cleaned it up. Nice old #7, gate marked and a large raised 'Y'.... You can even still see the mill marks inside the skillet. I believe this to be an old Excelsior (G. F. Filley).... Am I right Doug?

Doesn't look like I can repost the pics so if you could check at the end of my first post "New member wonders about this skillet"....

Last edited:
not sure you can definitively say 'excelsior', as I understand it there were a lot of makers of this style of 'fancy handle' skillets... excelsior being one of them... there are variations in the underside of the handle and the attachment that might help narrow it down but you would almost need a marked excelsior with all the same characteristics before you could more accurately guess that this one was the same.

Back