Gated Pot

ASchmidt

Hello everyone I am new to the cast iron community and came across this neat pot at a gurage sale. I am having a hard time finding any sort of information about it.

If anyone could give me some information on this cool pot I would highly appriceate it!! All I know it looks to be worn down 3 legged gated pot. Older late 1800's?. It is pretty light and the pot walls are pretty thin compared to oyher cast iron pots, with a lip on top for the lid.

Any addition information would be amazing!! Thank you in advance!

The pot and lid may not be a matching pair. I say that because at one time the pot had three legs that allowed cooking over a bed of hot coals. They have been cut off. If so the lid should have a raised flange allowing hot coals to be added to the top. The lid handle style is old.
The other opinion is the pot could be recast using a mold from an altered pot. It will still make a great pot of chili.

I'm not sure about the 'legs being cut off'.
Some have said that for a time with flat bottomed gate-marked items they cast those 'blobs just to allow it to sit flat. I suspect that might be the case with this one.

Legs were not cut off. Nice little Kettle and I do think the lid is original. Some senior collectors tend to say that most early pieces didn't have "Iron" lids but maybe Tin. I've been going through some Catalogues and there are Iron Lids that go with the wares. This piece has a date range starting in the 1840's to 1890's. When given a date range people tend to go earlier but when given a wide range it could be anywhere within the time period. My thoughts is this is on the earlier end based on the bale ears.

Nice Find!

Back