Flat bottom kettle

Thanks Doug, I thought it looked like a BSR. I see one on ebay that is cleaned up and it looks pretty nice so I think I will like this one. I went to visit my daughter and saw she has my Griswold griddle living on her stove. She has a glass top stove and says it works well.

Another good score, Bonnie! I wish I had been able to keep my mom's grinder--I don't know what its markings were, but she made some really great ham salad and pimiento cheese with it!

Thanks Sharon, it's been a long time since I had a decent ham salad sandwich. This grinder was missing some parts, I have another and I am going to see if the parts are interchangeable.

Scott, I am at work so I can't see the pictures but IIRC the handles looked a bit like a lodge. They did not have the ridge underneath like a BSR.

You are correct in that the handle on the griddle doesn't have the ridge, which was the only reason I didn't ID it as BSR. I wonder why they would change handle styles on just one pattern in their line. I guess there is no logic in design.

I have a griddle just like that one, which was my mother's. We use all the time and it works great on our glass top stove. I do believe it was made by BSR in the late 50's.

The sharp ridge on the underside of the handle that is characteristic of BSR mainly applies to their skillets. The handles on other type of BSR pieces don't necessarily follow that rule, but are often somewhat similar. In those cases, other characteristics and markings confirm BSR.

BSR in the 60's made a breakfast skillet, chicken fryer, square skillet and sauce pans with smooth bottoms in their handles are long and skinny and they don't have the point to them on the underside. I'm by far no expert but I think the hole in the handle is too big allthough the numbers look like it

My Made in the USA BSR chicken fryer has the ridge under the handle. Might they have just not used it for the thinner items 'cause there was no place for it to go?

Hilditch

they look like this. they have a ridge but more rounded and the hang hole is different not like a tear drop

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

sorry for the life size image doug. for the life of me I can not figure it out. I even tried taking it with my phone and they end up even bigger.

I cleaned the griddle and I am less than impressed. The cooking surface was not polish ground and I don't like it. I found an old fry basket for $2 that was covered up with yellow grease and soaked it in the lye, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.
http://i.imgur.com/YmmK0i0.jpg

Back