Todays haul

Yep. It was 2$ so I thought I would experiment cleaning a steel skillet. I found a mystery skillet also that went right into the lye. It is covered in a half inch of crud but the handle had a ridge in it like the pie logo so I am hopeful.

I will clean them and season them and put them in my booth down in Phoenix. I got them cheap so I can make a little off reselling them. They have the smooth machined surface.

I agree Max, last week someone at work asked me if I had a good old smooth bottom skillet. They said they didn't care about name brands and that they only wanted a good cooker. I sold them a 8 unmarked Wagner that I found for $3. I got 10$ for it and that paid for lunch at the Canteen. They were happy with the skillet and I was happy to have lunch money on the day before payday.:D

Bonnie,
I'm trying really hard not to be jealous but its difficult when you scoop up a #4 for that kind of price and I've never seen a #4.....of any kind.

I want to hang out with you & see if any of that good luck rubs off on me:)

Jack

Thanks Jack, when I saw it my heart started racing and I looked at the tag over and over. When I was at the register I was worried they might say it was wrong. It is such a rush when that happens. It was priced cheaper than the 3's. :-D

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

The reason I got so much for so cheap, the Griswold was $15, is because one of my favorite malls in Prescott is closing on the 30th. :cry:

https://www.padmapper.com/listings/...room-at-117-N-Cortez-St-Prescott-AZ-86301-in-

What makes #4's so rare? Seems to me that it would be a very handy size... probably more useful than a #3 which is as common as dandelions, at least around here.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

I'd like to say that I pass those up as well, but when I find them cheap enough, I pick them up as well.

Well, as it turns out, I did just that myself this weekend, and the reason I did was that I was puzzled. The unmarked iron says "Made In U.S.A.", "NO. 6", and "9 3/8 IN.", which I would expect to mark it as relatively new, yet it has a heat ring, which I thought put it in the wood stove days. Thoughts? Were people still buying pans with heat rings in the '60's?!?

Dan
I see more #3's than anything except perhaps #8's. I have no clue why #4's are so scarce. I have been actively looking for "collectable" CI for a little over 3 years now and I have not seen a single #4 anywhere.

Thats why I want to hang out with Bonnie :)

Heat rings. Didn't Lodge make the three notch heat ring forever?

Jack

Dan
Heat rings. Didn't Lodge make the three notch heat ring forever?
Jack
That I don't know. Did they? (this one, of course, is not a Lodge, as far as I know. I suspect it is an unmarked BS&R, based on the smooth transition of the handle into the body of the skillet. )

It is a Lodge. I do think they made them for a long time. The #10 I found has a nice smooth machined cooking surface but after pulling the #8 from the lye I see it has the rough surface.

I got these three cleaned up. I really like the machined surface on the Lodge. The Philips screw head on the BSR is kind of cool also.

Back