Craigslist find

Found and bought this second series #9 ERIE Skillet on Craigslist!! Into the lye tub to see how it will turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 86
No Bonnie. It looks to be a flaw when casted. I think once the seasoning is removed the maker mark will be revealed!!

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

I also found a Griswold whole wheat stick pan!! Interested?

Interesting. I did not notice that when researching it on this site. Do you think it was because it was from the same casting?

I don't know. I am just learning about these Erie skillets now. That sounds like a good question for DougD.

I just happen to be searching for a Griswold Wheat pan. What a coincidence.

My guess would be casting flaw, and I don't think it's in the exact same spot as the one pictured on the Erie page, which appears to be a letter D. Maker's marks on Erie skillets tend to be in the right hemisphere, and anywhere from about 2 o'clock to just to the right of the size number.

Thank Doug. Cant wait till all the "crud" is removed to see what the marks say!!

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

I don't know. I am just learning about these Erie skillets now. That sounds like a good question for DougD.

I just happen to be searching for a Griswold Wheat pan. What a coincidence.

Haha. Then I might have to give it to you!!

Yes I do. Usually use it during the winter months. Find the Lye tank much easier for the "mass" amounts of cast iron I want to clean. Here in the desert Southwest dry temps get up to 110 degrees of dry heat. Amazingly have found that even the most disgusting pans clean up in one day in the lye tank.

After cleaning it up and looking at the underside, found out it was a 1905-1907 sixth series ERIE. Has some light pitting but still a nice piece to add to the collection.

Attachments

• IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1968.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 47
Nope, it's a 2nd series. Outside heat ring, maker's mark, no pattern number. The lack of quotes around ERIE is just a pattern variation, a pattern maker oversight.

Your very good Doug. Thanks. I was basing it being a sixth series on the lack of quotes. I knew the fourth and sixth series did not have the quotes. Failed to look at the makers mark that the second and some of the third series had.

Rick Hunter asked me my opinion on this skillet he found on craigslist. When I looked at the ad I noticed the seller had another pan for sale. Rick was kind enough to pick up that one for me. Thank you Mr. Hunter, that was very neighborly of you. :) It is a treasure.

Image Image

I have one of those, too, and was glad to have gotten it before eBay went crazy. I have the aluminum one as well.

Back