I can show, can some one tell

Lee B

Hi All

The in side is 2.5'' deep ,4.5'' x 8.5'' at the bottom ,6.5'' x 11'' at the top.

It has two thin rails on the base :icon_scratchchin: presumably to reduce heat transfer.

Anyone :biggrin:

Attachments

• Foto-0026.jpg
    Foto-0026.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Foto-0025.jpg
    Foto-0025.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Foto-0023.jpg
    Foto-0023.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 42
It is very interesting what pieces of iron cookware come from foreign countries. Few other places in the world, if any, use similar pans as the US. Years ago in a small Calif. town there was a large warehouse antiques mall full of imported furniture and other antiques. Among them were a ton (well maybe more like 20-30) bundt style cake molds with different patterns, many with porcelain on the inside and/or outside. The other iron cookware that I remember were a lot of pans like you have, again with many or most having porcelain on the inside but not always on the outside. There were nested sets of graduated size pans, maybe three or four different sizes. I would assume that all the iron cookware came from the same country. The Scandanavian countries maybe? Occasionally, in other places, I would see one or several pans like you have. The ribs on the bottom are probably to help them slide into and out of the oven or to keep the bottom off a stovetop or table maybe. Much like a heat rim would work maybe? Nice pieces. I think the smaller sizes would measure about 6 x 8" while the larger sizes might be 10 x 18. This is only a guess since it has been a good 15 or more years since I saw these pans. I don't know what they are called. They remind me of boats and are probably used for oven baking.

Your pan is exactly like those that I saw years ago. They differed some from one to another as I think they were all antiques and probably from several makers and/or time periods. When you say "from Chile" do you mean yours was cast there or just that it once lived in Chile? I think these types of pans are of European descent.

I was just trying to find an image of similar pans on Google Images with no luck at all. If I knew what these were called, approximately when they were in production, and what country they came from it would be a big help. You have my curiousity up now and I want to know more about them. I had one or two of them years ago and always thought they were interesting pieces. I will grab your photos (hope that is ok) and may post elsewhere to see if anyone can id.

Steve

Back