selden and griswold attic find

Not at all. But, as it is the middle of a business day, most here are probably otherwise occupied, or don't have reference materials close at hand. You kettle dates from between ~ 1873 and ~ 1887, though.

You have a very collectable item. Except, damage to the spout and the addition of a "something" that allowed the lid to be moved without burning fingers. These changes have killed the value of this item.

there is a white porcelain knob on the lid if that is the "something" you are referring to. I know, the spout breaks my heat, worth passing down to my daughter?

The porcelain knob is original, riveted on. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Selden & Griswold, Erie, or Griswold tea kettle, other than a toy, without a porcelain or wood knob. The spout damage is unfortunate, but the piece is old enough and rare enough to be worth holding onto or passing down. While not the same exact markings, the blue book declines to put a dollar value on the similar one it shows, only assessing it as "rare".

That is wonderful news! I'm excited to start learning and collecting with a unique item like this. Thanks so much for the help

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Is there any way to find an appraisal on an item that doesnt have a value given in the book? Naturally, I really would like to know.

Other than an antique appraiser very familiar with vintage cast iron hollow ware, not really. Most collectors rely on a combination of the books and recent completed sold eBay auctions. Of course, the more rare the item, the less chance of finding it there.

Well I have looked everywhere I could think to and I found one #7 Selden and Griswold kettle from beckort auction house that sold over a year ago but they dont disclose the selling price. That was the ONLY image I could find on the internet. Do you know anyone who knows more about Selden and Griswold?

That's an awesome find. It is definitely a keeper. Im not sure but I would check to see if it could be restored. Regardless it is a piece a lot of people envy to have in their collection.

Back