Strange Dutch Oven

Last weekend I found this DO at a flea market. The only marking is a 3 on the bottom. That is the size of the heat ring. It is 10" diameter at the top. I am hoping someone out there has seen one like it and can help in identifying it. I hope this worked. For some reason I am having trouble uploading pictures.

No the heat ring is the same as a #3 skillet. I can't get the pictures attached, so as soon as I can I will post them.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

The heat ring is 4 1/2"

I think I finally got the pictures uploaded.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
It's a Scotch bowl or yankee bowl. From the photos, can't tell the relative depth. Deeper would be the latter.

Scotch bowl. Made for porridge and things requiring constant stirring. Looks a bit pitted. The insides were usually polish ground, at least by makers with the capability.

Thanks for the info. Never heard of a Scotch bowl before, but found pics on line, and I believe that is what it is. Now if I could figure out who made it and about when it was made... I know it is pretty old, but nothing else.

Now if I could figure out who made it and about when it was made...

Good luck with that. Older un-marked pieces are most times pretty impossible to identify the maker. If it had some distinctive marking, or the bail handle ears were different in some way, it would be a lit easier. This one looks like 100 others I've seen.

Scotch Bowl = Kind of like a Wok, gradually sloped up sides, like Doug said, great for things that need a lot of stirring.

Yankee Bowl = Rounded bottom, almost vertical sides. I've got a couple, and really, I don't know what they're good for, but they look great. :)

Back