My First Thrift Store Find...3 for $3!!

BobbyR

I recently visited a local thrift store and was told by the manager they didn't have any cast iron. I asked her if she would let me know if she got any in...I know the manager.

Later the same week, just by chance, I was talking with someone and the subject of cast iron came up. He said he didn't have any cast iron but that there was some pieces at the thrift store and he'd have to get some. I asked what thrift store he was referring to and it happened to be the same one I just checked! He said they hadn't been put out front because they hadn't been cleaned! I said that didn't matter to me!

He works in the back receiving area and sorts items as they come into the store. He told me to stop by and come around to the back and he'd find them for me. So, the next day I stopped by and he came up with 3 pieces. They set a price of $1 each so I quickly reached into my pocket and paid for them!

Immediately saw that one of the pieces was a Wagner but the other two were not so easily identified without cleaning.

I've cleaned the pieces and would like some help on confirming ID and possibly the value. I have no interest in selling, just curious of value.

One is a gatemarked griddle with very rough casting. It has a raised R at six o'clock. It also has a V design on top of the handle. Don't have any idea of any info on this one except I was told it was circa late 1800's.

The other unmarked has a 7A at six o'clock. I was told that it was a BSR Red Mountain.

The last is a Wagner Ware Sidney -o- #5, 1055H at six o'clock. Any additional info on any of these would be appreciated!

Now I know to go to the back door of the thrift stores and check with the sorting help! LOL

Thanks for your help,
BobbyR

Stacked and waiting to get cleaned.

Here you can see the V and a #8 on top of the handle. You can also see how rough the casting is.

Gatemark and....

Raised "R" at 6 o'clock.

Wagner before cleaning. The 5 on the handle is not visible here.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

More pictures...

Bottom of Wagner.

BSR Red Mountain??

BSR Handle

Bottom of BSR before cleaning.

After cleaning and 2 coats of Crisco seasoning.

The V, #8 and the rough casting visible here.

You can see how rough the cooking surface is here.

Cooked breakfast in BSR and griddle this morning. I was surprised at how well the griddle did with such a rough surface and only 2 coats of seasoning. BIG difference from when I rescued them!

Image Image Image

Thanks in advance for any help with info on these pans!

JD,

I see some similarities between the 2 pans, especially in the handle. I noticed yours is a right hand pan from the pour spout. Mine doesn't have a pour spout at all.

The casting around your handle is a little rough, but overall yours is definitely a much better casting than mine.

I wish these old pans could talk. I imagine the stories they could tell and where they've been!

Bobby

Back