Historical Piece ?

Jody M

Unusual story I wanted to share. I bought this # 14 Griswold Skillet a few weeks ago at an estate sale. It was from the home of an older man who had collected various things through the 50s and 60s. Most of his collection was railroad memorabilia, antique cameras, and some primitives. But in the midst of all of that, maneuvering through a big crowd of people, I was able to grab this gem. The story is that it was used on the Riverboat "HOMESTEAD", on the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh, PA. Research shows that the Homestead was built in the 1920s and operated through the 1950s. It was owned by US Steel and participated in annual riverboat races, often against J&L Steels "TITAN". So I purchased the framed photo of the Homestead, the skillet, and a wooden masher that were supposedly used on the boat. There was a lot of provenance proving the authenticity of much of his other collectibles, but nothing that proves the story of this skillet. Even so, I couldn't help myself and bought it. I've looked at thousands of pieces of cast iron in the last few years, and appreciate that each one probably has a story to tell, but this is the first one I've run across with a possible historical connection. Just had to buy it.
https://imgur.com/Fu5aBFc

Sir, Your wooden masher is really called a marlinspike. It was used to work minila lines and sailcloth. Usually made out of a very hard wood, mostly black lignite.

Sir, Your wooden masher is really called a marlinspike. It was used to work minila lines and sailcloth. Usually made out of a very hard wood, mostly black lignite.

Thank you so much for this information. The people running the sale called it a masher, but I see lots of primitives and none come to a point like this. I just knew there had to be another use. I appreciate you letting me know.

I see no reason why they would lie about the history of the skillet. I would have bought it too, to have a piece of PA history, and a #14 at that.

Thanks for the link Charles. I just "liked" their Facebook page. Might share my find with them and see what they have to say.

Nice skillet and cool story, hope you’re able to find out more about it and possibly verify the connection. I’ve always enjoyed items that can be linked to a person or place in past time. Reminds me some of the old swords, daggers, and pistols that I’ve seen linked to a name and picture, sometimes with the price in the photo.

Back