Conversion

MDFraley

Just about a year ago (before I knew little about restoration) I ruined a WW round roaster 249A aluminum pot by putting it in my lye bath. Beyond repair and saving it I decided over the weekend to convert it into a charcoal pit and hopefully use it as a single meal grill. The frame it sets in was from an old fire pit piece and I bought the grill from Academy over the weekend to set down inside of the pit. Haven't tried it as of this post but hopefully I have resurrected another worthless piece into something useful. I know Hilditch can save that tea kettle/pot if he will just try....
http://imgur.com/a/5950X

What Edgar said is true and charcoal burns hotter than than 1200° F. Then I thought about my Weber drip pans. Aluminum but when a hot coal falls in it does not melt through. Probably because of the cool air coming in under it and transfer of the heat. With cool air under the DO and some air flow into it, it may be OK.

Then again I seem to remember a very red hibachi. What to lose?

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

PS: The sides of the drip pan against the coals don't think about melting either.

What Edgar said is true and charcoal burns hotter than than 1200° F. Then I thought about my Weber drip pans. Aluminum but when a hot coal falls in it does not melt through. Probably because of the cool air coming in under it and transfer of the heat. With cool air under the DO and some air flow into it, it may be OK.

Then again I seem to remember a very red hibachi. What to lose?

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

PS: The sides of the drip pan against the coals don't think about melting either.

I had actually given it some thought about complete melt down due to the damage done initially, and pre-planned putting an old sheet metal cookie pan below it in case that happens. I plan to put just a few pieces of charcoal that will cook a single burger or a couple wieners, nothing big for extended cooking time. I also have the lid (same damage) that I can cap it with once cooking is completed. Again....What's there to loose???

You could ad a thin layer of play sand on the bottom to protect it from the heat, it will be fine either way as long as you don't put 80 lbs of charcoal in it at once.

I've resolved everyone's concerns regarding "melt down" including mine. I had forgot about an old D.O that had a crack from top to bottom on one side setting on the shop floor. It's C.I. and sets perfectly inside the aluminum round roaster so no more worries...I'll have to take a pic when I use it but may list it in Cooking In Cast Iron with a rack of ribs on it...or something like that.

P.S. The flame on a gas stove is over 2,000° F. The reason all aluminum cookware has not melted is because the the aluminum itself never got to 1,200°. Due to air flow and conduction of the heat the metal seldom, if ever, gets over 700°. With cast iron, steak searing temperature is 500 to 600° and turning red is about 900°. My thought is that with normal air flow around and under a cast aluminum container it would be difficult to get the metal heated up to 1,200° without forced air into the fire it contained. I would not set it directly on another flat surface to restrict air flow on the bottom.

Hilditch

O.K. Guys...Verdict is in and it was a success. No melt-down issues and I made me some burgers since I had the fire going. Used one "small" bag of charcoal. It was just the right amount to do the job...So...If you have an old cast aluminum piece that has been messed up and you want to salvage it then make yourself a BBQ grill with it and enjoy it.
http://imgur.com/a/XiZ9b

Back