Early Wagner #3 Oval Roaster

Couldn't pass this up even though I have been shying away from aluminum. In particular, I think Doug D. will likely be interested in it. There are no examples that I saw in the RB or BB. Has anyone seen one with these handles?

When did Wagner start making aluminum products, about 1900? My best guess on this is around 1910 but maybe with these handles, maybe it's a little earlier? Should it have a trivet and if so, is it marked/how would I recognize it?

This one I plan to restore. Never have gotten around to restoring the Wagner Ware Krusty Korn Junior aluminum corn stick pan. Your comment of about an hour, Doug, has me wanting to (gently) go at this!

http://www.stormforge.net/gallery/index.php/Wagner-Arc-Slant-3-Oval-Roaster

Last edited:
When were dutch oven trivets first offered? Maybe c.1920 by Griswold? No trivets are shown in the 1915 Wagner catalog but your OVAL CASSEROLE is shown there priced at $4.50 each. A No.1 and 2 were also offered.

Thanks, Steve. So it's an oval casserole, rather than an oval roaster. Good to know. Explains the lack of self-basting lid.

I'd love to see a line up of these showing the different handles and marks.

When were dutch oven trivets first offered? Maybe c.1920 by Griswold? No trivets are shown in the 1915 Wagner catalog but your OVAL CASSEROLE is shown there priced at $4.50 each. A No.1 and 2 were also offered.

Just looked up on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website what $4.50 from 1915 is in terms of buying power in 2014. At $105.63, these were not inexpensive!

Back