Re: Egg Poachers/Apple Cake Pans

WallyF

I am trying to understand the markings on p/n 962 (page 116 in the BB).

Consider the 962 to be at 6 o'clock.

There is a pan with "G M Co" on the 3 horizontal "balls" going from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. There appears to be something on the 5 o'clock ball. Difficult to distinguish, but it may be 962 oriented "upside down" to the G M Co. The date for this pan is 1920.

The next pan below and to the right is clearly a 962. It has Griswold on the outside edge around 11 o'clock and Erie Pa on the outside edge around 4 o'clock. The date range given is 1923-1950's.

Here are the questions.

What is the date range for these p/n 962 pans without Erie Pa? Is there a difference in value? Are these the same as pans called "aebleskiver"? If not what is an aebleskiver pan?

Thanks.

What is the date range for these p/n 962 pans without Erie Pa?
One would suppose as you (and the BB) note, 1920s.
Is there a difference in value?
The book also notes values for each, the older version's being higher, $100 vs. $30-40 when published. Today's values probably different.
Are these the same as pans called "aebleskiver"? If not what is an aebleskiver pan?
"Aebelskiver" = "apple slices", so yes.

I've been looking a Aebleskiver pans on eBay. Most of them are one of the Griswold 962s.

There is/was one type that I cannot identify. Think it might be a circa 1980 or so Lodge. Don't think I'm supposed to post a link to eBay, so I'll have to describe it.

The only markings are "32D" on opposite sides of the bottom of the pan between the "cups" and the wall. It has the same number of cups as Griswold but the configuration of the cups is different. From 12 o'clock down to 6 o'clock Griswold has a row of 2 cups, then 3 cups and finally 2 cups.

The unknown pan has 1 cup, 2 cups, 1 cup, 2 cups and finally 1 cup. Hope this isn't confusing. To visualize this, mentally move the handle of the Griswold pan from 6 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Then you can "see" the 1,2,1,2,1.

Anyone know who made this pan? One of the eBay listings of this type also had a Lodge "tag/sticker" attached to the handle.

The 32D is a Lodge catalog number. Sometime in the early 2000s, Lodge switched to a new design, the P7A, which has no rim, a different handle shape and an assist handle.

Back