Help Identifying This Pan

TomM

Howdy Folks!

I need a little help identifying the vintage of this pan. I'm pretty sure it was one of the nickel-coated varieties (though most of it has long since worn off) . I'm fairly confident I know approximately when it was made, but I look forward to hearing your opinions.

panfront%20(Small).jpg

Panback%20(Small).jpg

I received this pan from my grandmother (who told me she got it from her grandmother). It's seen daily use for at least 70 years that I know of, & probably much longer. The pan never got put away, it was always on my grandma's cooktop. Although she's been dead for almost 30 years, I still use it daily; here's a picture of me cooking breakfast this morning.

Breakfast1%20(Small).jpg

Breakfast2%20(Small).jpg

Nothing sticks to it, not even eggs!

According to the site that we are posting on, these were made between 1924 - 1935. Very nice piece and I love that you're using it!

That would make sense. I have a feeling my great-great-grandmother bought it new in 1924, used it for a while, & then gave it to my grandmother.

That would make sense. I have a feeling my great-great-grandmother bought it new in 1924, used it for a while, & then gave it to my grandmother.

The fact that it's on it's 3rd family member makes it valuable beyond money to me. Very nice!

Usually plated pieces only bring top dollar if the plating is nearly perfect. Here in Florida I see similar pieces bringing $35, that being a #9 maybe even $50. In perfect condition over $100.

Pieces were entirely plated. Partial plating would have been impractical if even possible in this scenario. The lack of plating seen on cooking surfaces is the result of wear. If you go through the gallery at the link below, you'll note pieces without plating on areas on the inside that could only be from wear, and also NOS pieces with intact labels that are plated inside and out.

http://www.castironcollector.com/plated.php

I have the distant cousin to that pan-an unmarked Griswold number 9 with Victor ghosts that has all but the top 1/2 inch of plating worn off inside and a patch on the bottom is worn as well. I really debated about spending the $15 for this pan but once I fried some chicken in it I'm glad I did. The surface, to me, is even slicker than a black iron Griswold pan-maybe because they had to polish it super-smooth for the plating. I know that mine, being unmarked is "worth" about what I paid for it, but to me as a user it is top notch, plus the number 9 size is an unusual and convenient size to cook in.

Back