A Good Day at the Antique Store

GTurner

I went to a local antique store (35 miles away in Atlanta is local) and had a great haul. All for under $30.

New Lodge ash tray 01AT - seasoning now

In lye
#6 griddle unknown right now

#8 Wagner chicken fryer (unknown if unmarked or marked)

#8 SMS with outside heat ring and warped (I knew it when I bought it)

#5 3-notch Lodge - older

9 inch skillet - Unmarked Wagner

#8 Puritan made by Griswold

Pictures of before and after coming.

I might go back and get a Dutch Oven or two lol. They had a Dutch oven that I almost bought until I noticed that it had two small holes near the bottom. It was gate marked and had the bail handle sides shaped like an upright D. What a shame to let it rust through like that.

Not a good day, a great day! $30 total, or under $30 for each piece?

I have a Griswold made Puritan #8, Its in the top 3 of my favorite skillets I own.

Lets have some pics after they finish their bath.

Not a good day, a great day! $30 total, or under $30 for each piece?

I have a Griswold made Puritan #8, Its in the top 3 of my favorite skillets I own.

Lets have some pics after they finish their bath.

<$30 total

Most require a lot of work, but well worth it.

I went to a local antique store (35 miles away in Atlanta is local) and had a great haul. All for under $30.

New Lodge ash tray 01AT - seasoning now

In lye
#6 griddle unknown right now

#8 Wagner chicken fryer (unknown if unmarked or marked)

#8 SMS with outside heat ring and warped (I knew it when I bought it)

#5 3-notch Lodge - older

9 inch skillet - Unmarked Wagner

#8 Puritan made by Griswold

Pictures of before and after coming.

I might go back and get a Dutch Oven or two lol. They had a Dutch oven that I almost bought until I noticed that it had two small holes near the bottom. It was gate marked and had the bail handle sides shaped like an upright D. What a shame to let it rust through like that.

The gate marked D.O. would be nice cleaned up to display or use to keep stuff in...plants? Just for the history!

The Dutch oven is an unmarked Made in USA Wagner piece. This weekend I plan on finishing them up. Still soaking in the lye bath. I have taken them out to do some scrubbing, but able to donate that much time to thoroughly clean and season. The Puritan looks gorgeous so far.

The SMS is just that. It does have a couple of marks, one in the handle and one in the bottom. They both appear to be the number 9. I'll have pics soon. Two out them are finished, the Lodge ashtray and the #5 BS&R. Cooked eggs in it first thing. Eggs slide out without sticking.

I haven't forgotten about the pictures. 3 still need more cleaning. I want to do it all at the same time.

The Puritan looks gorgeous. The #6 Lodge griddle is pitted pretty badly, but usable. #5 BS&R looks great. Lodge ashtray is good.

SMS coming along. #6 unmarked Wagner is stained. Staying in lye longer. Chicken Fryer cleaning up well. All are in my second lye tank solution.

I went back to the store and picked up three DO's for $20.

Older Lodge, I think #8
Wagner 1891 #8
Old tall DO with an outside diameter (OD) if 9.5 inches.

It will be awhile before I get to them. The Lodge and Wagner are in the first lye tank.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, pictures!!! (Yeeeaaahh, and the crowd goes wild).

The #8 SMS as well as the #6 skillet had not been seasoned yet. Also, some have only been seasoned once. It's been a busy couple of weeks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EchI3

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

#6 Wagner - Before & After https://imgur.com/a/KPiwz

#5 BS&R - Before & After https://imgur.com/a/tfgTN

#6 Lodge Griddle - Before & After https://imgur.com/a/ugjYB

#8 SMS - Before & After https://imgur.com/a/iQK3m

#8 Wagner Chicken Fryer - Before & After https://imgur.com/a/MLjic

And last, but not least,

Before & After #8 Puritan and Lodge Ashtray https://imgur.com/a/T5Tj9

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Now that I've finally loaded the pictures, when was the lodge skillet made, year range?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

I meant Lodge griddle.

Greetings from a fellow Georgian! The Puritan is exceptional, in my opinion. My only question is about the SMS. I am not an expert by any means but this is the first skillet I've ever seen called an SMS that didn't have a raised number on top of the handle. Mine has an inset heat ring, raised number, and small spouts. I've seen others with large spouts but never with an incised heat ring. Regardless, it's a great pan and you had a great haul. We've got some good iron down here, but it takes a lot of shoe leather to find it!

Greetings from a fellow Georgian! The Puritan is exceptional, in my opinion. My only question is about the SMS. I am not an expert by any means but this is the first skillet I've ever seen called an SMS that didn't have a raised number on top of the handle. Mine has an inset heat ring, raised number, and small spouts. I've seen others with large spouts but never with an incised heat ring. Regardless, it's a great pan and you had a great haul. We've got some good iron down here, but it takes a lot of shoe leather to find it!

Thank you fellow Georgian, even though I'm from the north. That was the prize in the haul. I saw Puritan and a different handle than my Puritan made by Favorite. I knew it was a Griswold made Puritan.

BTW, all the pieces are flat with little to no wobble. The SMS is warped, but had very little wobble due to the heat ring.

I'm giving the chicken fryer away to a friend. She has been trying to get my MBL Griswold Chicken Fryer or my cast aluminum Iron Mountain one (not). It doesn't have a lid, but I'll find a glass one for her.

I only call it an SMS because 1) I'm in the south and 2) who knows who made it. It does have a small 9 on the bottom of the handle and skillet though. When I bought it, I was hoping for a ghost marked skillet or an Erie. It looks like the handle was from an Erie skillet. I'm not that proficient with Erie skillet series so I very well could be wrong.

It was still a great find at the price even though I probably will never use it. This was bought to be a possible collector, my first (that didn't work out).

You're darn right it was a great deal! Most places I've seen that sell Iron would try to sell the Puritan or the Chicken Fryer alone for what you paid for all.

G,

Nice clean up job. Great score.

I really like the Puritan. Very interesting handle.

There is a shadow on the bottom handle of the SMS. Is that a "Wagner" triangle where it meets the pan?

The characteristics of what have come to be dubbed SMS: Southern Mystery Skillets are inset heat ring, small pour spouts, raised size number and molder's marks, plus a handle reinforcement pad. This pan would not be considered one of those.

The triangle at the handle base isn't necessarily a Wagner characteristic; many makers' pans had similar, even the odd BSR.

cast aluminum Iron Mountain
Would not be genuine Griswold, whose aluminum pieces had different pattern numbers from their iron counterparts. Also consider aluminum skillets (and saucepans) are made with wooden (or sometimes coil) handles due to the higher conductivity over iron.

Back