Lodge Double Skillet Top ?

D_Madden

This one seems to be rather unusual... I knew it was some sort of double skillet combo top right away, but I wasn't sure who made it and it was a cheap gamble. I kind of recalled martin made one with tabs like this to hold the top skillet in place on top of the other skillet... but I'm now pretty sure this is a lodge made piece.

anybody got any more info? specifically what the bottom was. did it just sit on a normal chicken fryer? or was there some special bottom that I'll never find? Also, any thoughts on how 'rare' or 'hard to find' this piece is?

not done cleaning yet, but it was clean enough to get some pics... no markings other than the raised letter 'F' in the hanging hole area.

The positioning lugs, as opposed to a continuous ridge, don't say Lodge to me; the raised molder's mark just isn't enough to confirm. The Martin set's top has tabs that extend from the outer rim which hold it in place as a lid. It would also appear the pan that goes with this piece would necessarily need a divot in the top rim at the base of its handle to allow this piece to sit flush as a lid.

The positioning lugs, as opposed to a continuous ridge, don't say Lodge to me; the raised molder's mark just isn't enough to confirm. The Martin set's top has tabs that extend from the outer rim which hold it in place as a lid. It would also appear the pan that goes with this piece would necessarily need a divot in the top rim at the base of its handle to allow this piece to sit flush as a lid.

there are pics online (pinterest, ej bogusch) showing the top and bottom of this pan in both plain iron and hammered... the hammered is without a doubt lodge... and is exactly the same as the plain iron one. and yes, it's a single notch #8 chicken fryer bottom, with a concave spot there on top of the handle... I also found reference to this pan in a lodge collectors facebook group and a couple of the names that I know are experts in lodge mentioned it rather matter of factly as being lodge made in the 1930's. (john clough and matt morris)

Found one too... guess we will both be looking for the base pan!View attachment 7675View attachment 7676
I found the special single notch bottom a while back, probably didn't post pics on here... but I found yet another one of the tops last month for a friend... and he had a correct bottom that he was cleaning for someone else... he traded them a regular lodge chicken fryer for the one with the special concave section on the top of the handle so he has a full set now also.

I have that newer Lodge combo cooker too. Works for me. I love chicken fryers for some reason. Just the deepness helps with burgers for example. ess grease to spray around,lol......plus you can cook more in them due to being deep.

Back