Question from the North

George_L

So, I've been collecting old Canadian Cast Iron Pans for a couple of years. I'm always amazed at the unique qualities of older pans, how smooth and light they are, the finish quality can be amazing.

If I do come across a pan from the USA it tends to be Wagner. or perhaps Lodge, 50-60 years old. I was in a thrift store the other day, and was pleasantly surprised when I turned this pan over to see that it was a Griswold, I've never seen one before. My best guess on the logo is that it dates from 1920-1940, is that correct?

The finish is a bit unusual for my eyes... while the bottom seems like normal cast iron, the cooking surface and the handle seem a bit "lustrous" showing lots of wear, silvery when dry, bronzed after cleaning and seasoning. Is this a chrome surface of some kind, is that what I am seeing? (I've attached a few pictures.)

Regardless, it was worth the $4 that I spent on it. It's VERY light, can't quite believe it.

Attachments

• GRISCIP2.jpg
    GRISCIP2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 65
  • GRISCIP1.jpg
    GRISCIP1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
  • GRISCIP5.jpg
    GRISCIP5.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 56
Here's the logo, and what the pan looked like "dry", just purchased....

Attachments

• GRISCIP3.jpg
    GRISCIP3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 51
  • GRISCIP6.jpg
    GRISCIP6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks like the remnants of worn off plating. If I'd only seen the before photo of the cooking surface, I might guess cleaned with power tools, but the others don't appear that way.

When I first saw it, I thought that perhaps the original owner had used something unusual to scour it, to keep it clean all these years. But it seems to be on the handle as well... I can only assume that you are correct then, that it must be the well worn remnants of some sort of plating.

Thanks for the insight!

Looks like the remnants of worn off plating. If I'd only seen the before photo of the cooking surface, I might guess cleaned with power tools, but the others don't appear that way.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Wow - I wish I could find a large label Griswold for $4! You really scored!!!!

Thanks BobbiC. Fried eggs for breakfast tomorrow, we shall see if I got my $4 worth...

:p

I have to agree, a great score no matter what! Oddly enough, I have a couple of #6's, and #8's, so I'm also happy to "fill the gap". The eggs were fabulous, no sticking, the seasoning seems to have bonded well... If nothing else, it could make a great piece on the wall, if I ever get around to building a display wall like so many others here have done.

This website (and these forums) is a fabulous resource.

Great find for $4 & it's a #7. Let us know how the eggs turned out, if you had any sticking.

Back