Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 PM

Default Aebleskiver Vs. Egg Poacher

Hi -

There's been a few times that I've run across what appears to be an aebleskiver pan but described as an egg poacher.

Is this a misnomer or did some manufacturer(s) actually market this type of thing as an egg poacher?

(apologies is this info is already available and I overlooked it)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2020, 10:49 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Aebleskiver Vs. Egg Poacher

Yes, an aebelskiver is often seen called an egg poacher. But I really can't see how it could, by definition, poach eggs, a process which requires simmering, slightly acidified water. Or, at the very least, a steam-saturated enclosed vessel.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:21 PM

Yes, agreed - I've seen modern egg poachers use shallow bowls to hold the eggs (I've never tried them, only ever poached in a regular saucepan) but it seems to me that trying to use CI for such a thing really wouldn't work well.

But those who call them egg poachers, is it just internet-echo-chamber of an incorrect description or did any manufacturers actually sell them described as egg poachers, as far as you know?

I just don't want to make some proclamation elsewhere that what's described as a CI egg poacher is actually an aebelskiver and then find out I posted false info, if I can avoid it. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Site Admin

Lodge, Griswold and Wagner all called them a "Danish Cake Pan". Wagner catalogs, however, went on to say that the top rim of their #1314 made it "an ideal pan to use for poaching eggs", but offered no guidance on how that end might be achieved. (Fill with water? Cover?)

Some Griswold catalogs conversely called their rimless #31 pan an "Egg Poacher or Apple Cake Pan" when they also made a #32 with a rim. Other Griswold catalogs call the rimmed pan simply an Egg Poacher while at the same time calling the rimless pan a Danish Cake Pan.

Some older Lodge catalogs call theirs a Danish Cake Pan, subtitled "Or Egg Poacher". The pan was dropped from the line for some time before returning as a 32D, the 32 designation apparently being borrowed from Griswold and the D for Danish.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:27 PM

Thank you, exactly the answer I was seeking. And, once again, I learned something.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:19 AM

To add, the image from the catalog, as described by @Doug.

As somebody who loves to make aebleskiver, I find it comical that the rimless one was called the danish cake pan. Without the rim you will get butter -everywhere-. It is a total disaster.

The "egg poacher" is much better for making aebleskiver than the actual aebleskiver pan depicted here.

Last edited by April King; 09-23-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: give up on image resizing
Old 09-23-2020, 08:10 AM

A couple of things...
  1. Does anyone know the date of the catalogue page posted by April King? Reason being is that I am surprised how expensive they were "in the day".
  2. FYI - I frequently successfully make Aebleskivers in a rimless pan. If a bit careful, the butter stays in the indentations. Don't be sacred to pick one up if you come across it in the wild.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

Those prices are cents each, not dollars. They are commensurate with those shown in a 1918 wholesale catalog reprint. 70 cents in 1918 is about $13 today.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:19 PM

As Doug said, these prices are cents and not dollars. This particular catalogue was published in 1915, I believe.

And yes, you can definitely make ębleskiver in rimless pans, but ones with rims are cheap and plentiful so I don't see any reason to worry about getting butter on your stove when you don't have to.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:53 AM

Wow... cents not dollars. A bit embarrassing.