Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Griswold DO #6

Apologize. The photos are from a site for an estate sale. I have no pure CI DOs. Have 3 enamalized from france. Trying to decide if it is worth it. Why are the prices on eBay so high? The estate sale "add" does not say whether there is a trivet. If there is, some opinions of what is worth. If there is no trivet, what?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Griswold DO #6

I don't see the pics
Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 PM

You be correct. I messed up. hope this works. So no bottom pics. Don't know whether there is a trivet. given that, .....

So what I have found on ebay, the low end is around $100. The thrifty in me says OUCH.

https://imgur.com/a/rHEx0
Old 03-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Site Admin

Any #6 Griswold DO is going to be pricey. Moreso with a "full writing top" lid. If there was a trivet, I'd expect it would be noted in the sale. And would certainly add to the value. I was lucky enough to find a plain top for around $20, but with some acid erosion of the inside surface. And no trivet.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 AM

I found a plain lid version as well in absolute perfect shape, no trivet. Paid $100 and it also came with an old Lodge #8 DO that included a trivet.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 PM

six's are 'less common' than 8's and 9's... and the full raised letter lid makes it all that much more desirable (to collectors)... sold listings seem to indicate $150 up to about $400... a lid sold for almost $100 and a trivet for almost $80... I'd say $200 or so is about average.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:10 PM

I got it!

Based upon the commentary here, I decided to drive the 1 1/2 hours and try to check it out. I was #11 on the list to enter the house and doubted it would still be there when I got in. Also, since it was the first day of the sale, I knew the price was not going to be negotiated.

When I got inside, they had the #6 ($75) and a #9 ($125). Both were tite-tops with the raised lettering. Neither had a trivet.

Fortunately, a so called collector that entered before me decided to pass on both because "the prices were too high". Think he was looking to buy cheap and flip them on ebay. Another "collector" picked up the #9 before I was finished inspecting the #6. Think I got the better deal.

Anyway, here it is.

Before.

https://imgur.com/a/4mRHr

After.

https://imgur.com/a/SwPL3

It cleaned up pretty well.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:34 PM

If that "collector"is on this site, he's probably kicking himself. That DO is beautiful!
Old 03-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Thatís a beauty.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTurner View Post
If that "collector"is on this site, he's probably kicking himself. That DO is beautiful!
G,

Thank you.

I doubt that "collector" is on this site. He suggests sand blasting to clean CI! nuff said.

BTW, of the 3 people besides me there looking at the DO's, I'm the only one with a torpedo level/straight edge. The rookie ask whether that was important and obviously the "collectors" didn't care. I got this from http://www.castironcollector.com/hunting.php in case you haven't checked it out.
Thank you Doug!

Next up, going to try me a mess of bacon. (see W. Dilditch's post in Cooking with Cast Iron - "Treat your Dutch Oven Right".