New Find - Wagner

NashA

I found this one at an antique fair over the weekend, and it was 50% off! Although it has a relatively thick coating of wax on it, I was up for a restore-challenge. I've seen a previous post about cleaning wax off of pans, but I'm not sure if would also apply to this kind of wax or the amount of build up on this one.

I appreciate any suggestions on how to get rid of the wax or happy to follow any links anyone provides.

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145494236@N06/shares/bRM9n4

Last edited:
Nash, what you refer to as wax is probably seasoning and carbon. A Brillo pad would take wax off. To remove the seasoning Heavy Duty EasyOff should get most of it. Searching this site for cleaning will give more information. To get started spray it with EasyOff, put it in a plastic garbage bag to keep it from drying out and let it sit for a couple of days.

Hilditch

Thanks for the reply, Hilditch!

No, It's definitely wax. I can dig my fingernails into it, the coating peels off white like wax, and the guy selling it said it is coated in wax. The picture of the cooking surface shows a thick layer of it near the twelve o'clock position.

EasyOff sounds like a good idea. I'll do some more research on the forum.

If it's just paste wax, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be anything more than that, I'm thinking all it would take is a good scrubbing with hot water and dish soap to get it off.

Yeah, I didn't think to ask what kind of wax it was or why the seller coated the piece in wax in the first place; I am still very new at all of this.

I will try some hot water and a good scrub.

Thanks!
-Nash

I just went through this with my Favorite Miami dual logo. The seller put wax on it to protect it from rust, at least that is what they will say. Truth be known it fills in minor tool marks and makes a piece look really nice. My recommendation is to keep it on your stove and every time you do dishes wash it as well. Dry it with a towel then heat it on the stove. Do this until the remaining coating remains solid after heating.
It took about 10 rounds to get the wax off mine then I easy off it for a couple days before cleaning and reseasoning.
You could put it upside down on a cookie sheet in the oven to remove the wax but that will smoke up your house.
Tony

Use gasoline. It works very well. Wet rag and wipe it off. The gas dissolves it.
then wash normally and season

EDIT

i have now done 5 pieces done with this method. Works excellent

It's been established in another thread that HD Easy Off worked on wax. I think most are going to be reluctant to use gasoline regardless of reports of it working.

It's been established in another thread that HD Easy Off worked on wax. I think most are going to be reluctant to use gasoline regardless of reports of it working.

I get that. When asked whats easiest I let them know. if they want to go at it with a slower process then they should not ask whats best, but whats second best

So, I took a green Scotch Brite scouring pad and hot water to take the first coat of wax off. Doing that uncovered a lot of pitting and superficial marks on the cooking surface. The pitting isn't deep and will fill in over time.

Last night I threw the skillet in the oven at 500 for two hours with Crisco on it and let the residual wax, or whatever was on there, smoke off. This morning I cooked my first round of bacon and eggs, and my process proved to work just fine; no EasyOff or gasoline needed. :icon_thumbsup:

I've had a couple of similar experiences ... bought a pan with a thick layer of sticky seasoning and found out the seller put it there to hide imperfections.

Back