• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

New Mexican Red Chile Stew

Kyle S.

Hello everyone,
It is fall and that means stew. Here in New Mexico our stews are spicy. Enjoy the post and the pictures.
Have a great night,
Kyle
https://imgur.com/gallery/KrZllpz

2 lbs pork country style ribs cubed
1 large white onion finely chopped
8 cloves garlic minced
2 14 oz. tubs Bueno® Red Chile puree. I use hot
1 bag baby Dutch yellow potatoes scrubbed
32 oz chicken stock
48 oz chicken broth
1 Tbs Cumin
1 Tbs Mexican Oregano
1/2 Tsp garlic salt
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1- 6 qt, lodge no need for crazy Le Creuset, enameled Dutch oven with lid

Bloom the spices in a little olive oil on medium, enough to coat the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add the onion and garlic on medium and cook until transparent. Remove onion spice mixture and place in a bowl. Coat the pork in a little flour and sprinkle some of all of the seasoning on it, not what you bloomed just a little more from the bottles. Brown in the Dutch. Remove the pork and deglaze the pan with a little stock. Scrape it real good to get all the flavor. Add onion and meat back to the DO. Add the 2 tubs of Chile. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Add the stock and broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and allow to simmer for 3 hours. Add the potatoes whole. I find it keeps the stew from getting too thick and makes the left overs way better. Cut them when they are in your bowl. Cook until potatoes are tender then serve with FRESH tortillas, a little sour cream, avocado and lime if you like.
Enjoy!

"2 tubs bueno red chile" means two 14 oz. tubs Bueno® Red Chile puree, correct?

Sounds very good. I can't do spicy so I'll skip the chiles.
Would seem to defeat the whole purpose of the recipe. Maybe consider just using mild Chile. Should be less spicy than the onion and garlic.

2 tubs bueno red chile" means two 14 oz. tubs Bueno® Red Chile puree, correct?
You are correct. Mild is an easy substitute and makes it a bit more tolerable. Have a great day!
Kyle

That’s something I would try a bowl of, my sister inlaw is Thai and after 20+ years of eating her food I’m a little use too spicy food :biggrin:

Howdy All;

Live just up the road form Hatch. Age old argument, Red or Green, lots
of folks just go "Christmas" aka some of both.

hank

Want to try this recipe. Have not been able to find chili puree in NJ. What can I use as a substitute
I was going to suggest Walmart, which has it here, but looks like not in NJ.

Also a question for the OP, which version of the country style "ribs" do you use/prefer? They are seen made both from shoulder (marbled, dark red) and loin (unmarbled, pink) cuts.

I would also suggest trying a Mexican Style meat market/ butcher for the purée.

Doug,
I believe it to be the shoulder. Darker meat with a bit of marbling. The long cook makes it more tender. We have used a bone in tenderloin type and it was also good. Let me know how it turns out.

Back