rust remaining

SarahC

Hey guys I just did the 50/50 for a 5 quart Dutch CIP. It still has rust on the handle area and on the outside. Should I redo the vinegar bath full strength or season. I'm having a very hard time uploading pics with flicker.
Once I get the pics up maybe you help me more. Confused.... What happens when you season rust? :|

Re: rust stains

If it is still active rust, the seasoning oil may have a cleansing effect when you apply it and rub it off, but I'd still try to get it off with straight vinegar first.

I do stuff in my kitchen sink, too.

Re: rust stains

Thanks...I appreciate it. Found a new way to post pics...will be doing that tomorrow after the second vinager soak. I think getting rid if all this rust is probably my best bet...must be patient for this work. Thanks :D

That's an unmarked Wagner. "Made In USA" puts it after the early 1960s. Looks to be in good shape. An hour in electrolysis would clean the rest of that light rust right up. Did you try the full strength vinegar/stainless steel scrubber yet?

I have not tried the electrolysis, not sure how to do that or where to begin.
I plan on doing some research on how to make one.
I have not done straight vinegar. I did a 50/50 soak. Would it be better to soak this in full vinegar and for how long or should I do the spray bottle and scrub? :!:

The idea with full strength vinegar is to avoid the expense, although minor, of having to use enough vinegar and water to submerge the entire piece. Spray it on, wait 10 minutes, scrub, and rinse. Repeat as necessary.

I love this piece and plan on keeping it in my collection, especially because its from my wonderful grandmother.
How much would it be worth. I only wonder because Griswalds seem to sell for such crazy prices on EBAY.
What's the big difference between Wagner and Griswald?

I will try you advice on the vinegar, I'm really interested in these electrolysis baths ya'll talk about

Thanks Doug!

Back