All for Lobster Dinner

Jeffrey R.

All for Lobster Dinner #1

Well, Wife planed this trip in favor of Father's day and she would not tell me were we were going or what we were doing. I was told this trip was for us.:eek:

We ended up over in Maine and hit a few yard sales, then a nice lobster dinner.:glutton: Then spent the night so we could hit more yard sales on the way home. Not a big haul by my standards, but some nice pieces. The R&R was Great!

For all you fathers, Happy Father's Day, never to late.

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0798.jpg

4 pieces that stand out.

In the top left corner; Kettle, Wood Bishop & Co. Bangor, ME. This kettle came from elderly woman, who told me that they used to cook baked beans for around 100 people. They would cook them over night and baked them in the ground.
Hey RickC, will this work for your beans, no fire needed in Calie, just set it in your driveway for the day solar power beans! Well... you cannot light fires anyway!

Continued next post, 5 photo limit each post.
Top right corner; Griswold Ghost Marked Chuck-Wagon Dutch Over. Made after the Wagner purchase of Griswold.

Under the kettle on the left ;Wagner #8 pot, trivet cast iron lid, also the glass lid
( not in photo)

Across on the right side; Griswold #11 French Roll Pan Variation 6 Rarity 3

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0802.jpg

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0806.jpg

Last edited:
All for Lobster Dinner continued #2

Top right corner; Griswold Ghost Marked Chuck-Wagon Dutch Oven. Made after the Wagner purchase of Griswold.

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0800.jpg

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0801.jpg

Under the kettle on the left ;Wagner #8 pot, trivet cast iron lid, also the glass lid
( not in photo)

Across on the right side; Griswold #11 French Roll Pan Variation 6 Rarity 3

kettle%25252Ctrip%25252C_0799.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to here you had a nice fathers day. I was looking closely at the Wood and Bishop kettle, it's a nice one. I noticed something just to the right of the rim of the kettle that appears to be the shadowy figure of RickC making a mad dash back into the tree line.

I noticed something just to the right of the rim of the kettle that appears to be the shadowy figure of RickC making a mad dash back into the tree line.

That was a good one Bonnie.
I will have to keep a better look for strange pans in my electrolysis tank.:icon_rofl:

Re: All for Lobster Dinner #1

Hey RickC, will this work for your beans, no fire needed in Calie, just set it in your driveway for the day solar power beans! Well... you cannot light fires anyway!

We postponed Father's Day until Wednesday evening.. It was just too hot on Sunday, fires burning in the local mountains, 100f+ in the shade, and... We're not that big on holidays anyway.

I really do love the big cauldrons though, and that one looks great! I'd bet it would hold Halloween candy for at least 57 kids.

As a bean pot, yeah.... I don't know if it would fit on my stove (No Fires Outside!!!) so I'd have to chop the legs off. :crackhead: Then it would just roll off the stove. Floor beans are the best!

I thought that Calie was first in the nation for most things. With all your heat out their, put a piece of foil down set it in your driveway for the day solar power beans!

Maybe you just like can beans!

Wow, you're doing better than me at finding locally "Made in Maine" ci, Jeff. I've only seen a couple of pieces for sale here, both from the same seller. However, he "cleans" the ci he sells by putting it in a wood stove so both pieces were cracked. :cry:

Wow, you're doing better than me at finding locally "Made in Maine" ci, Jeff. I've only seen a couple of pieces for sale here, both from the same seller. However, he "cleans" the ci he sells by putting it in a wood stove so both pieces were cracked. :cry:

First, I would stay clear of that seller. If he did not crack one, maybe the next one will be over heated. You have more yard sales over in Maine that I have where I live. Heck we have more cows that people here.

I thought that Calie was first in the nation for most things. With all your heat out their, put a piece of foil down set it in your driveway for the day solar power beans!

Maybe you just like can beans!:nutkick:

No canned beans for me. I'll be cooking for 10 people on Sun, for Mon. lunch at work. I'm thinking of just putting everything in a pot on Monday morning, sitting the pot on the dashboard of my car, and it should be ready by lunch. We're all about the Solar energy out here. :tongue:

Update, cleaned, seasoned, and in my office. Eye Candy.

RickC, You have never made beans from scratch, so the only way that you like beans are from the can. :eek:

So this is you.:tasty:
wood%25252Cbishop%25252Ckettle_0810.jpg

RickC, You have never made beans from scratch, so the only way that you like beans are from the can. :eek:

So this is you.:tasty:

For someone who doesn't make beans, I'm not sure why I have this drawer in the kitchen.
Cl31BO7.jpg

When cooking chili I'll sometimes use canned beans because I don't cook it as long as I do other things.

For someone who doesn't make beans, I'm not sure why I have this drawer in the kitchen.

When cooking chili I'll sometimes use canned beans because I don't cook it as long as I do other things.

If you are not sure, how am I to be sure.

Have a nice day.

Canned beans are sacrilege with me. Toss a bag of those great northerns in a dutch and let them cook. Boston baked beans are fantastic.

Don't forget to add a couple of pounds of bacon and some tomatoes and onions for the baked beans. :glutton:

I'll post my baked beans beans recipe someday. I make them when I smoke ribs.

Add apple wood smoked bacon, You all are making me want to fire up the smoker with some ribs and a side of my beans.

The lady that I purchased this kettle from told me that they used to make baked beans in the kettle over night for around 100 people. Dig a hole in the ground, get your hard wood fire going good and hot and let it burn down to coals. Set in the kettle and bank up the coals and back fill the sand / dirt, let cook overnight. That gave the men something to do, watch the beans and drink beer.

:glutton:

ShawnE, I am getting ready to make a new batch of beans, just might have to take a look at your recipe.

The other reason that baked beans were cooked overnight was that the fundamentalist Christians that originally populated this country had a prohibition on doing work on the sabbath (including cooking). So they would make a pot of beans the day before and then they had something to eat on the sabbath.

Give me a couple of hours, and I'll publish my baked beans recipe. Hmmmm... I do have a couple of racks of ribs in the freezer, guess I'll have to make ribs and beans for our anniversary, birthdays(s). All 3 are within 2 wks.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

JeffreyR,

Here it is:
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12280#post12280

Pretty basic, but tasty.

Back