Sweeney cast iron?

Am appealing to the collective wisdom here. I have a tea kettle that is marked Sweeney's & Co. Wheeling W. VA. 1869 on the lid. In trying to research it online I have found references to T. Sweeney as manufacturer of various kinds of cast iron, such as door hinges, parts for steamboats, etc. Most of the info. that comes up online is digitized print material from the 19th century, and it appears the company went through several name changes over the course of time. Is anybody out there familiar with Sweeney hollow ware? And I know, pictures are needed--am still working to get some on this forum. Thanks in advance!

Thanks, John, for your help. It looks like this one is kind of a mystery. I do love the stupid tea kettle, though; it is a great decorative item, and at least I don't think it's a 20th century piece. (I'm an antiques snob, I guess, but in central Indiana the really old stuff doesn't turn up much.)

Small update on Sweeney: I have trouble recognizing gate marks (oops), but I have no doubts that it's 19th century. I have been trying to research Sweeney online, and have found that the Sweeney family was a "big deal" in Wheeling from about 1848 to 1890. Apparently they were involved in making flint glass as well as iron parts for steamboats and bridges. I'll post here if I can find out more about this subject; just let me know if it's a big snooze to you all, and I'll let it go.

Hi, Doug, et al. I looked at the big guy, as I think of the tea kettle, and it sure does have a nice gate mark across the bottom. It is a 9, if I'm reading the number right--number is located on the top of the pouring spout. We heat with wood, so the kettle is "décor" near the stove--it sits on top in the Summer; in Winter nearby on the floor. I'm still trying to research Sweeney; may wind up at the Purdue Library asking for help from the reference librarian; I was a cataloger, and my search skills aren't that good.

Back