• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Scones

KimberlyS

This is really a basic biscuit recipe. Its one of those old recipes that has no real measurements....this is all approximate. I sometimes add dried cranberries. You can add a bit of sugar if you like.

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kimslack/slideshow/scones

2 cups all purpose flour..you can add 1/4 of of WW flour but just two cups for the entire recipe

3 tsp baking powder
little bit of salt
Whisk the dry ingredients together..
blend in 1/4 cup of butter...maybe a little more depending on flour...until well blended. I use a pastry blender.
Add 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed to make a soft pliable dough.
(The least amount of handling makes for a better scone).
Put out onto a floured board and knead just a little until it comes together in a small ball. Then take 1/2 of dough and mold into a round and pat it down and cut it into 4 pieces. do same with other half of dough. Let them rise a little bit. Preheat oven to 400 degrees....put in cast iron griddle or fry pan.
When ready for oven, dip each scone into a mixture of 1 beaten egg and a little water and place in heated pan.. (I use some parchment paper to prevent sticking). Bake until nicely browned....about 25 minutes.

Bon Appetite!

This is really a basic biscuit recipe. Its one of those old recipes that has no real measurements....this is all approximate. I sometimes add dried cranberries. You can add a bit of sugar if you like.

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kimslack/slideshow/scones

2 cups all purpose flour..you can add 1/4 of of WW flour but just two cups for the entire recipe

3 tsp baking powder
little bit of salt
Whisk the dry ingredients together..
blend in 1/4 cup of butter...maybe a little more depending on flour...until well blended. I use a pastry blender.
Add 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed to make a soft pliable dough.
(The least amount of handling makes for a better scone).
Put out onto a floured board and knead just a little until it comes together in a small ball. Then take 1/2 of dough and mold into a round and pat it down and cut it into 4 pieces. do same with other half of dough. Let them rise a little bit. Preheat oven to 400 degrees....put in cast iron griddle or fry pan.
When ready for oven, dip each scone into a mixture of 1 beaten egg and a little water and place in heated pan.. (I use some parchment paper to prevent sticking). Bake until nicely browned....about 25 minutes.

Bon Appetite!

Try adding the zest from two oranges along with the cranberries, then after the egg wash, sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar crystals (Sugar in the Raw packets work well).

Back