Performance Differences, Old vs New Griz

TedW

I understand that the old Erie pans are thought by some to be a better cooking pan than some of the later Griswolds.

I'm looking at a small logo (for cooking, not collecting) #10 skillet, circa the late 30's-40'. I'm hoping the iron is not second rate vs the older Griz. Again, I'm looking at this as a cooking utensil, not for display.

Thanks!

Anything marked Griswold and Erie, PA is going to be a quality made utensil, and a fine user if not damaged. Older pans, like Erie-- smooth, light castings-- are great if you need a pan that's not heavy and reacts relatively quickly to changes in heat source temp. Later pieces may be heavier due to manufacturing requirements, but they still have the advantage of superior heat retention when that is desirable. The trick is just to know the characteristics of a given piece, and how to work with its capabilities for a particular application.

So essential difference is simply the quantity of iron, not a change in the quality of it. Thinner walls on Erie, thicker on Griz.

Thanks!

The small logo Griswold that cooked thousands of meals in my parents' house is in my kitchen. It's still in use today and it is really a pleasure to use, as well as the memories it invokes. I, for one, don't see how you can go wrong with one, unless it's damaged or they want a king's ransom for it.

Doug- Another great link- Thank you. This site has great resources.

Glenn- Thanks for the insight. They are all selling for a king's ransom, however. $300+ for premium pans on ebay right now. One #10 Griz (large logo, no ring) sold for $350. Near mint

I recently paid $50 for the same pan with heat ring, which is a more valuable piece. $75 - $100 would not have been unrealistic. Don't take those crazy eBay prices as gospel; it's more often just a case of the opportunistic preying on the uninformed.

I'm just not seeing them for sale elsewhere, is the thing. I'd like to have one CI piece ready to go with my new induction stove. Other pieces I can sure wait for.

That Myth Link was very interesting also. I just read it

I'm just not seeing them for sale elsewhere, is the thing. I'd like to have one CI piece ready to go with my new induction stove. Other pieces I can sure wait for.

That Myth Link was very interesting also. I just read it

Just make sure it's perfectly flat my understanding of an induction stove is that if it's a spinner it wont work as it needs full contact to create the induction heat

Just make sure it's perfectly flat my understanding of an induction stove is that if it's a spinner it wont work as it needs full contact to create the induction heat

Thanks Ken. The spinner is more of an irritant, is my understanding. The EM field from the induction hub extends up a few inches. You have to keep the pan close to the surface, but you could lay a towel on the stovetop and it would still work fine.

Ted, an older Erie might be slightly thinner than a small logo Gris, but I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) you would see a much greater difference between a small logo Gris and a Lodge or BSR than you would between the SBL and an Erie. I only have one SBL in my collection so I am no expert... but I thought that might be of some interest for perspective. All things considered, and compared to other makers, a small logo Gris is still a relatively thin cast piece.

Thank you Jay-

As was said earlier, any Gris should perform similarly, the bigger issue being the condition.

Just wish I could find a flat pan below the astronomical prices on eBay.

As far as Lodge goes, I'd say the no-notch, single notch, and early 3-notch all have pretty comparable thickness as a small logo Griswold. I've never actually measured it, but that's just a "feel". I can't really comment on BSR because everything I run across is post-automation.

Favorites are crazy thin and light, even more so than most of the Eries I've handled.

The pre-auto BSR are pretty solid... maybe a little lighter than the automated stuff, but not by much.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

The supposedly earlier 3-notch Lodge pieces I have (1940s... molders mark on raised "blob" above the size number) are pretty heavy. The two I have that I assume date to the '50s (no blob with molder's mark) actually seem lighter and thinner than the supposedly earlier ones. I completely agree about the 1-notch though.

All really interesting stuff Jay! The cast iron items are amazingly compelling. I can see why people collect them.

As for the usability, I would lump iron into 3 categories: older thin walled (outer heat ring), all iron made from 1910-1950s, and > 1950s. You can not go wrong with anything in the first two categories. .....

As for the usability, I would lump iron into 3 categories: older thin walled (outer heat ring), all iron made from 1910-1950s, and > 1950s. You can not go wrong with anything in the first two categories. .....

I second this. Well said!

Performance-wise, I favor things from the 1910-1950s range. Although I appreciate and love those Eries, early Wagners, and the like, they're finicky. The thin walls heat and cool faster, which means more pronounced hot/cool spots, and they're much more likely to bow up or down during use.

I have stainless for most common frying / cooking, but wanted the cast for certain applications. Searing meats being a biggie.

So a new lodge that is heavy is a plus as mentioned earlier. And if I re-surface the Lodge, I won't have a collectible, but it would be a performer.

I have stainless for most common frying / cooking, but wanted the cast for certain applications. Searing meats being a biggie.

So a new lodge that is heavy is a plus as mentioned earlier. And if I re-surface the Lodge, I won't have a collectible, but it would be a performer.

Or save yourself the labor, and grab a post-automation piece that was still milled and polished at the factory. I almost bought a #10 BSR century series at the flea market this past weekend. They are built like a tank, and have a fair bit of heft to them but aren't overly heavy. I was just feeling a bit too cheap, and the guy wouldn't take $20 after asking $25 so I walked away. In the end it made the wife happy that another skillet didn't follow me home :icon_rofl:

You can grab unmarked Wagners, "Made In USA" Lodge and BSR, all pretty easily and cheaper than what a same sized new Lodge would cost you.

I tend to agree. Factory polished iron is still plentiful enough, and can be had at bargain prices enough that it's not necessary to go through all the trouble to buy and grind down new Lodge iron yourself. I think some people just like watching themselves on youtube, and will think up ways to do that.

Back