#14 unmarked griswold/wagner

P Mertz

I recently purchased a very well used and taken care of #14. the text on skillet seems to match Griswold but no logo

Attachments

• 14 couch 4.jpg
    14 couch 4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 75
Assumed to have been made by Wagner in Sidney, OH, after the acquisition of Griswold by Randall, from an altered Griswold pattern.

Could have been sold as either a Wagner or a Griswold, using a paper label or a marked carton.

I purchased mine from a gentleman that used it to cook over open fire. I told him I was not a collector that I wanted it to use. he sold it to me for 50.00 I did notice that mine has makers mark on it. there is a letter A under 15 1/4 inch on mine. He is only 15 miles from my house so I didn't have to worry about it being damaged in shipping. does yours have a slight dimple in center of bottom on cooking surface

...does yours have a slight dimple in center of bottom on cooking surface

Yes, it does, but it doesn't buldge on the bottom as one might expect.

I too got mine from a local. He lives only about three miles from me amd I go past his house several times a month. Neat how we find things in places we never seem to think of. His parents also used in for open fire cooking while camping. I can see why ... I doubt a single burner would heat it right. :icon_scratchchin:

BTW, I got mine, box and all, for $60.

Since ours were likely made in early to mid-'60s, I'm thinking somewhere around $100 - $125 right now. I've seen only one other just like them on eBay and it did not have a single bid. I don't remember what the opening bid was set at. I expect to see it re-listed some day.

Good morning P. Mertz and Ken Davis I also have the same skillet as the both of you. Mine was my Mothers and being from a family of ten children mom needed a large skillet to feed us troops. I can remember mom frying 3 cut up chickens in that pan all at once.
After my Mother past several years ago I lost track of the skillet an never knew what had happened to it and some time back I was visiting one of my younger sisters and we were talking about growing up at home and the subject of moms big skillet came up and I ask Barbara what ever happened to it and she told me she had it and it was down in her basement but she never had used it because she had no use for such a large pan plus it was all crusty and ask if I would like to have it. You bet I said so Now I have Moms big skillet. I first did the oven cleaner in the plastic bag thingy and scrubbed till my fingers about fell off with a brush and a Brillo pad and well mom sure knew how to burn some crust on a skillet to say the least. so know after finding this wonderful site I have made myself a Lye tank and as we speak its in there doing its thing.

I have also made an electro tank from a 7 gallon plastic bucket but as both of you know them skillets are Huge so I will have to figure a plan B Maybe the neighbor will let me hook up an electro in there outdoor swimming pool. What ya think. LOL

Anyway This Skillet will never be sold as long as I'm alive as it has to much sentimental value to me but I would guess between 100.00 and 150.00 sounds about right.

On another subject, You folks are making my wallet somewhat lighter since I found this place and My cast iron pans seem to be multiplying. Have a great day and I hope all of you find the pan of your dreams for 2 bucks.:chuckle:

Last edited:
Great story, John. I, too, have a couple CI pieces that were handed down through generatioins. And, like you, I'lll never part with them ... except to pass them on to another family memeber.

none of my pieces are family. I can't remember if my folks used ci. but I love using what I have. I still haven't cooked in the 14 yet only had it a couple of weeks. I have cleaned some pieces for my boys and turned the seasoning over to my ex wife. it is a joint effort. hoping to get them started using ci

Could have been made just prior to the requirement, or the requirement was fulfilled by package or applied labeling. This piece was likely made 1959-1969.

Back