Waterman gem pan?

SpurgeonH

Not sure this is called a gem pan. I'm not buying it because they want $49 for it, but I thought I would share. It's a nice looking pan. I read about Waterman in the "notable US Manufacturers" section. Might be a neat pan to have, but I don't want to send that much today. Ha!

I have been burned buying a fake Waterman, that one is pretty. I can't afford it but it probably would have came home with me anyhow. :-D

I didn't get it. It was more than I could spend and I'm trying to stick to my rule, "If I wouldn't cook it in, don't buy it." It's an "egg pan", right? I don't need to cook that many eggs at once.

Curious though, if his patent was 1859, but the pan has no ghost mark on it, does that mean it was made after 1900? How do you date this pan?

I didn't get it. It was more than I could spend and I'm trying to stick to my rule, "If I wouldn't cook it in, don't buy it." It's an "egg pan", right? I don't need to cook that many eggs at once.

Curious though, if his patent was 1859, but the pan has no ghost mark on it, does that mean it was made after 1900? How do you date this pan?

That's a cool pan. I know they are called "egg pans", but I don't know that anyone would cook eggs in them. Maybe Alton Brown.

Never mind, I found the additional information on the page about gem pans. Still not sure on how to date it, but it sounds cool. Makes me want to go back and get it tomorrow. The part about indistinct lettering might be a concern. I'll look at it closer tomorrow.

Even in the photos, it's clear enough that the lettering is distinct, the border around the markings is crisp, and the casting is smooth. You actually mean "gate mark", but Waterman pans did employ the side gating technology, apparently at the handles, which is why the ends look "snapped off". Bottom gating technology is typical of pieces pre-1900, not after, but the practice was continued into the 20th century, typically on large format items like cauldrons, sugar kettles, and the like.

I bought it! The owner of the booth was here and let me have it for $40.

I'll post a close up picture of the lettering later. Some of them look crisp and some look like they are melted together.

Here are close-ups of the handles. Some of the letters look melted.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I'm really hoping it is just a buildup of crud around the letters, but it doesn't look promising. I have it soaking in Easy Off now. Time will tell.

AegbJbU

Testing imgur app ...

https://imgur.com/AegbJbU

Jack, I think that is a link to the whole album. (Right now I only have one picture in it.)

Scott, I don't see those options. Maybe I downloaded the wrong app?

Doug, if that is a "real" Waterman pan, I've got one (or 2...) I love gem pans, and have collected them for years. I thought my pans were 19th or early 20th century copies, but now I'll look them over again. Mine are basically kitchen decor, but they do make nice cornbread pans. Probably could use for yeast rolls? It's too hot here to try that now, but I'm keeping it in mind. Thanks again Doug for all the good info.

Back