Strange find waffle iron

The repair is as unique as the waffle iron. The piece of iron the repair is made from has small hammer marks and the rivets are hammered on both sides. I believe this was done before welding was used. I have a question about the iron used in the waffle iron. It comes out of the E bath almost black. Can this be caused by the iron used?

I have a question about the iron used in the waffle iron. It comes out of the E bath almost black. Can this be caused by the iron used?

If you are using steel electrodes, that is the iron and carbon going from the positive to the negative and washes off easily. That is where the sacrifice goes to trade places with the rust.

Hilditch

Hi, John. I think that when you display that really neat waffle iron, you should also display photos of before and after. Great find, and what a clean-up job!

Here is the finished waffle iron with pics. Check first post to see what it looked like. Does anyone know how the two holes on the front of the iron were used? I had a great time doing this waffle iron and would hope to have more like it. I would be nice to find the base for this but I am not holding my breath.

Attachments

• GEDC0015.jpg
    GEDC0015.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
  • GEDC0006.jpg
    GEDC0006.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 23
  • GEDC0009.jpg
    GEDC0009.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 20
I've grown kind of fond of that repair, by the way. Gives it character. The repair looks to be almost as old as the iron itself, too, and displays the skill and creativity of someone a long time ago, whether that was the owner or the town blacksmith.

Those holes were used with a tool like the rod you have holding the hinge together to flip the irons over to better cook the other side.

Hilditch

Back