What More Could I Have Done?

JeremyT

Other than electro, what more could I have done? I was given this cast iron skillet with lid as a hand down from my wifes grandmother. I am forever grateful. The pan was in fairly good shape but the lid had considerable rust in the worst place of all. In between and around the spikes on the underside of the lid. There was a good thick layer of it.

I opted to use the vinegar bath as this is the first time trying to clean and season a pan. I meant to keep checking on it while in the vinegar and water bath but I laid down and fell asleep waking about four hours later. The rust was still there but I could tell the vinegar helped as above the water was a little foamy over the most rusted sections. I got much of it off with a lot of elbow grease and a stainless steal scrubbing pad after being softened up in the bath. It sure wasn't easy. When trying it in the oven, the lid turned brown with oxidation almost instantly. Could it be because of the length of time in the bath? I got much of that off and just seasoned over what was left.

I plan to use the pan for every day cooking and use.

DSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0567.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

Flash rust on just-cleaned bare iron is normal.

Doug is right. (As usual) It's almost impossible to not see some rust in between the cleaning and seasoning processes. The oil you use to season will cover it, kill it, and develop a seal over it. You are fine. Do not worry, cook, have fun, and eat well. Your pan and lid are just fine.

With use, they will both develop the deep black color that most people associate with a cast iron skillet.

Back