Did E-Tank Cause Crack?

SLightner

Hi all! I am a newbie and have had some problems with my first two attempts working with an E-Tank. I have a Shumacher charger with a handle and wheels. I set it at 40 amps/12v. The pans are suspended in a waste basket with water and Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I am using a sheet of steel for the sacrifice metal, which I believe is stainless steel. I used the same water for both, but added more of the washing solution for the second pan. After they were done, I scrubbed them with an SOS pad. When I was ready to season them, I noticed that both pans have a fine crack that starts on the inside of the pan, but doesn’t go all the way through to the outside. Because the cracks are so similar, I feel that I am doing something wrong. Please help me as I am so interested in making this happen. Thanks!

Although 40 amps is overkill (it has been observed anything over about 20 really doesn't do anything but produce unnecessary heat), it should not cause cracks. If what you are observing goes up the side but does not cross the rim and continue exactly the same down the other side, it's more likely just a scratch.

Thanks! Next time I will use the 10 amp/12 v setting. Also, I will purchase some Chore-Boy pads to use instead of the SOS pads. My husband and I want to learn how to do some outdoor cooking with cast iron. So far, this has been a fun challenge, but devastating when I saw the cracks. I appreciate the advice of those that have done this before and been successful.

Back