Just Doesn't Look Right To Me

Cody R

Hello everyone, not only is this my first post but it pertains to my first cast iron restoration. A little backstory on my skillet then on to my issue.

My SO's grandfather was cleaning out his garage and found this guy, the cooking surface was almost completely devoid of seasoning and the rest of the pan had a pretty thick layer of caked on seasoning that had clearly been built up over decades of cooking. After doing some reading on the internet I decided that a full strip and reseason was in order to get this guy back into cooking shape. I used the easy off method over the course of a week to strip all of the old seasoning off and the pan turned out looking pretty good. I decided to reseason it with Grapeseed Oil, did a few rounds of seasoning in the oven with Grapeseed Oil then started cooking with it.

Now onto my issue. When I cook with the skillet I generally wash it out with a wet rag and warm water. I was using coarse salt every single time and I think that was overkill, so I decided to backoff and just wipe it out with a rag and trust my base coat. Well, whenever I go to dry the skillet, usually on a burner set to medium low, this white residue seems to appear. I have been just rubbing some crisco over the skillet and letting it cool with that coat of crisco on it and when I put it up the skillet usually looks pretty good, but then after I cook with it that white film comes back.

Did I do something wrong here? Do I just need to keep cooking in it and reseasoning it as I go along and eventually it will build up those non-stick properties I am looking for? I am attaching a picture from this morning, I cooked some bacon in it, poured my grease into my container for safe keeping, then washed it out. All of the little bacon bits came off with no problem, didn't even have to scrub hard, but I am still left with this white residue. Just looking for a little guidance on this. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

https://goo.gl/photos/8CgHaZW7hmNJkTG5A

If you have hard water, like I do, it sometimes leaves a bit of residue after I have to rinse my pans, similar to what you have in your picture, until a good seasoning builds up. Best case scenario you should just wipe your pan out with a paper towel, in my humble opinion, worse case you need to use some water to get some stuff up. After rinsing with water, and drying on your stove top, just apply a thin coat of your favorite oil and the white will go away. Most of my users don't show white anymore even after a rinse. Keep building that seasoning. Don't get discouraged just keep cooking, the pan will come along. Hope that helps,
Kyle

It absolutely helps! I appreciate the advice and encouragement. Given that this is my first real experience with cast iron skillets and cast iron cooking I'm a bit nervous about messing it up, which from reading these forms seems a bit silly yet here I am. I will continue cooking with and trying not to stress about every little thing. Thanks again.

If you want to really start from scratch, put it over a really hot fire, or oven clean cycle, burn off all the carbon deposits, oil, seasoning. Then start seasoning it. Looks good surface wise.

Hi Scott,
Though those are the "old ways" of cleaning a skillet you won't find much love for them here. High, uncontrolled temperatures can really damage iron. Lye baths and electrolysis are more acceptable methods. Just thought i would chime in.
Kyle

Back