Is anyone using lard any more for seasoning?

JMay

I don't much mention of it now a days. See lots of talks of veggie oil and seed oils now.

Just curious if I actually should abandon my practice.

Yes, any seasoning I do is with lard. It works. There is no reason to abandon lard if you are getting the results you want. Technique does count.

Hilditch

Yes, ever since I found a source for high quality leaf lard direct from a local butcher shop! Simultaneously I had grown weary of the stink from Crisco and learned more about seasoning technique from this forum and site. I've been very pleased with the results when using lard.

I will admit that I am curious about a fairly new product called "Crisbee". Any comments anyone? Also, anybody with experience using 100% coconut oil for seasoning? Both of these products caught my attention due to a recipe I follow using beeswax and coconut oil for making cutting board/wood utensil polish.

Thanks to all for sharing their expertise and knowledge!

I have used Crisbee on several pieces and it works great. The finish is extremely dark on the first coat, almost jet black.

You can get it in a puck or a deodorant style stick, and in different scents. The scents don't translate much to the baking side, but smells wonderful while applying it.

Its worth the few extra pennies you pay for it.

I make my own "Crisbee" as I have a ready supply of beeswax. Works great on skillets. Not as easy to work with on gem pans / waffle irons as it solidifies as the iron cools.

The issue with beeswax is that when it carbonizes it forms an unstable soft layer of carbon rather than a hard layer like when animal fat or some vegetable oils carbonize. Beeswax is like a #2 1/2 pencil where animal fat is like a #1 pencil.

Carbon is the base element for seasoning cast iron.

Hilditch

I make my own "Crisbee" as I have a ready supply of beeswax. Works great on skillets. Not as easy to work with on gem pans / waffle irons as it solidifies as the iron cools.

Would you share your recipe for your homemade "Crisbee"?

The ratio for my homemade wood butter is 1/3 cup beeswax melted with 1 cup coconut oil. Just curious how the 2 products compare. Thanks!

Donna

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

The issue with beeswax is that when it carbonizes it forms an unstable soft layer of carbon rather than a hard layer like when animal fat or some vegetable oils carbonize. Beeswax is like a #2 1/2 pencil where animal fat is like a #1 pencil.

Carbon is the base element for seasoning cast iron.

Hilditch

In pursuit of my education and understanding, could you expand your statements above? Have you personally tried using beeswax or a mixture of beeswax with another oil as seasoning on cast iron? If so, please share your experience(s).

Yesterday I had several pieces in the oven for seasoning so, just on a whim, I did 3 pieces with my wood butter (coconut oil + beeswax) and on the other pieces I used lard. To be totally honest, I can't see any difference at all at this point. Of course none of the iron has been cooked in yet.

Is the problem you stated above only apparent during/after cooking?

Still a greenhorn... Just trying to learn!

So... Any thoughts/comments on using coconut oil without the addition of beeswax?

Thanks!

Donna,
Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 F which is pretty low. Refined coconut oil has a smoke point of 450 F. If you want to use coconut oil I would suggest you use the refined version.

Jack

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

I've been reading and studying so much on the topic of seasoning oils that my head is spinning like a tornado!! My conclusion is that cast iron cookware and leaf lard go hand in hand. They've both been around "forever" and seem to work so well together so why change now??

Thanks again!
Donna

The above is based on chemistry, physics and conversations with those who have used beeswax for seasoning. The results become apparent during and after cooking. When a person who cooks with CI uses the term reseason more than three times per conversation there is a good chance they are playing with beeswax.

Hilditch

Appreciate the insight Hilditch. I had not heard of the issues associated with beeswax. I have been using it for my showpieces. Time to test some of the skillets I have recently finished.

For those who had asked for my ratio I have used both 4 and 5 parts Crisco to one part beeswax. I have been sticking with the 5/1 lately. I use a silicone mold to make bars.

I've only used lard to date and works great. I was just curious after reading several other options.

However...my only issue with lard...the smell. =)

The above is based on chemistry, physics and conversations with those who have used beeswax for seasoning. The results become apparent during and after cooking. When a person who cooks with CI uses the term reseason more than three times per conversation there is a good chance they are playing with beeswax.

Hilditch

Thank you Hilditch, I will take note of this. I may have had this problem without even realizing it was the bees!

The closest thing to lard I have around my kitchen is rendered bacon grease. Does that work as well as lard for seasoning?

Not quite. Bacon grease has more impurities that have to be burned off and nitrates, but it does work fine in the long run. Lard is about 2 bucks for a lb. in the grocery store next to the Crisco. The trick here is finding the 1 lb. boxes and not the 5 lb. pail.

Hilditch

I have used Crisbee on several pieces and it works great. The finish is extremely dark on the first coat, almost jet black.

You can get it in a puck or a deodorant style stick, and in different scents. The scents don't translate much to the baking side, but smells wonderful while applying it.

Its worth the few extra pennies you pay for it.

I like Crisbee too. I use on all of my CI for initial seasoning after initial cleanup.

I've only used lard to date and works great. I was just curious after reading several other options.

However...my only issue with lard...the smell. =)
Yup, I've been using lard recently and my only complaint is the smell as well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use bacon grease most of the time, but I use lard too. Im lucky, in my area I can buy a 1Lb. box of Morrel Snow Cap Lard for $1.59. It lasts a long time too.

Back