• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

BMyers

Cabbage and Noodles

1 head of green cabbage
1 stick (8tbsps) unsalted butter
Salt to taste, at least 1 tsp
1 pound egg noodles
Optional garnishments
- poppy seeds
- sour cream or cottage cheese
- pepper to taste

Core the cabbage, shred it finely, wash, and dry. To dry use a kitchen towel or a salad spinner.
Melt the stick of butter in an enameled dutch oven. Its what I used and it worked great. Unsure if it would work in bare CI.
Add cabbage and toss in the melted butter using appropriate utensil - I used silicone salad tongs. My DO is 4.5 quarts so I had to initially split batch in half between two pots to cook down the cabbage and then I combined in DO.
Add salt and cover and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Toss and cover again every 20 minutes for up to 2 hours. I only tossed twice. The goal is to brown the cabbage. Remove the lid after the final toss and increase the heat to cook off any runny moisture, tossing more often.
Cook the egg noodles as directed on package. Add to the cabbage. I didnt add all, up to you. If desired, serve with the optional garnishments above. I used the poppy seeds and sour cream and it was delicious.

Pics

Last edited:
That does look like something I would try,

I give it go as with your recipe and then try it with my home made egg noodles that cook up a bit thicker. I can cut them short or longer narrow or wider. Gives me something to think on.

Looks like I know what Im making soon......sounds straight forward and great, by the looks of it.

Back