Crisbee

DAustin

Bought a couple Crisbee pucks last week, got to try it out on a Gris #9 DO lid, #5 Lodge 3-notch skillet, and #8 Gris LBL skillet. Although I didn't cook on any of the skillets yet, seems to work very well. Darkens up pretty good after 3 trips to the oven (per recommendations from Crisbee). Even the kitchen smells a little better.. :icon_thumbsup:

Umm,?? Is this a no, no in the C.I. world? Didn't sound like bee wax " Florida" was largely accepted on this board previously but, if it works, it works...

If it works for you then that's great! I've been meaning to try bee's wax myself, but since most of the iron I've been processing is for resale, I haven't wanted to try something that might not work as well. As soon as I find an upgrade piece for my modest collection I will give bee's wax a try!
I think the general opinion is "if it works, and it's not toxic, USE IT!" (Flax oil being the exception, as only accomplishes one of those things :mrgreen: )

Flax Oil works, or no? It's non-toxic, and I thought it worked.

I'm seeing Linseed / Flax with wax used to make Oil Cloth or Tin Cloth. And I did my kitchen countertops with this. Seems like no end to the uses for this stuff!

I was just making a jab at Flax Oil, it seems to be a divisive topic around here. Some like it, others hate it.

I restore and sell cast iron and always use Crisbee to season. Thanks for trying the product out DAustin. I invented Crisbee because of the horrible smoke from Crisco and other oils in the house. That and the inconsistencies resulting from improper amounts of oil applied to the cast iron. I certainly have more skeptics than customers, but those who have used Crisbee are quite happy with the results. I'm not here to advertise my products but I wanted to clarify that it is not associated with "Florida".

I restore and sell cast iron and always use Crisbee to season. Thanks for trying the product out DAustin. I invented Crisbee because of the horrible smoke from Crisco and other oils in the house. That and the inconsistencies resulting from improper amounts of oil applied to the cast iron. I certainly have more skeptics than customers, but those who have used Crisbee are quite happy with the results. I'm not here to advertise my products but I wanted to clarify that it is not associated with "Florida".

Bradley - the "florida" comment was regarding a previous thread about using beeswax, which didn't seem very well received by the board. It was not in relation to your product.

I'll be ordering more. :icon_thumbsup:

I can melt wax and add an oil on a stovetop. This isn't space-intensive and I like mixing stuff up.

Ah, beeswax and oil. Perfect for wood butcher blocks and cutting boards. My Elixir comes with mineral oil, beeswax and other essential oils and is way too expensive, but makes the wood look and feel good.

My idea for CI seasoning is the carbon left after all the impurities have burned or evaporated off. Carbon. Think graphite. Then the top layer or two still holding some of those slippery impurities to eliminate the need for teflon additives as found in some cooking sprays. That's seasoning.

Hilditch

Back