• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Grandma's Waffles

W. Hilditch

Real, real hard to beat.

Grandma’s Buttermilk Waffles
Vintage 1930 (Made Griswold Waffle Irons Famous!)

1 cup flour (soft-like White Lily)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg separated
¼ tsp salt
1 cup thick real buttermilk (Not Sealtest)
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp melted butter (Plus a little??)
(Secret Ingredient) 1/3 cup water

Start waffle iron warming on low. Beat egg white until stiff. Mix dry ingredients in med. bowl or 1 qt. pitcher. Beat egg yoke & combine with buttermilk. Pour into flour with water, mix, add butter & mix. Don’t over mix. Fold in egg white. Turn up heat to medium high. When water drops bounce in hot waffle iron spray lightly with veg. oil (NOT Pam), add about ½ cup batter onto cool side and cook approximately 2 minutes per side. It should fall out when done. Add 30 second intervals if sticking and use a fork if required.
Hold in 215° F (102° C) oven, uncovered. Makes four 8” waffles.

Pecan chips are good. Sprinkle in iron first, then pour. Do not use vanilla or malt.
1 pureed peach or 1 small applesauce are also good. Banana???? Crushed bacon????

Enjoy,
Hilditch

Last edited:
Real, real hard to beat.

Grandma’s Buttermilk Waffles
Vintage 1930 (Made Griswold Waffle Irons Famous!)

1 cup flour (soft-like White Lily)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg separated
¼ tsp salt
1 cup thick real buttermilk (Not Sealtest)
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp melted butter (Plus a little??)
(Secret Ingredient) 1/3 cup water

Start waffle iron warming on low. Beat egg white until stiff. Mix dry ingredients in med. bowl or 1 qt. pitcher. Beat egg yoke & combine with buttermilk. Pour into flour with water, mix, add butter & mix. Don’t over mix. Fold in egg white. Turn up heat to medium high. When water drops bounce in hot waffle iron spray lightly with veg. oil (NOT Pam), add about ½ cup batter onto cool side and cook approximately 2 minutes per side. It should fall out when done. Add 30 second intervals if sticking and use a fork if required.
Hold in 215° F (102° C) oven, uncovered. Makes four 8” waffles.

Pecan chips are good. Sprinkle in iron first, then pour. Do not use vanilla or malt.
1 pureed peach or 1 small applesauce are also good. Banana???? Crushed bacon????

Enjoy,
Hilditch

That is not too far off from a recipe from a 1905 catalog ad for the Alfred Andreson Heart Shaped Waffle Iron. I used this recipe to make my first batch of waffles on my Alfred Andreson Heart Shaped Waffle Iron.

2 cups flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (whites and yolks beaten separately)

They didn't include any mixing instructions, but I assume they would pretty much match the order shown in your recipe with the exception of brushing on some bacon grease instead of spraying on veg oil.

That combination has never made any sense to me. To me, waffles are for syrup. That's why they have all those little syrup traps. Chicken is for potatoes.

"If you’ve ever tried the unlikely pairing of chicken and waffles, you understand the appeal. It’s a delectable union of sweet and salty, soft and crunchy, maple and… chicken? I realize it might sound strange to the uninitiated. As somebody who has repeatedly enjoyed this improbable creation, I must insist– don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. Chicken and waffles are a dynamic culinary duo."

Seeing LA Roscoe's on a TV show got me to try it http://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/#!about/c10fk. Saw it advertised in an 19th century newspaper link per your discovery. It's got history for a good reason.

Hilditch

I order it at a local hash joint when ever I am there. Simple wonderful.
Honey on fried chicken has become a great addition at the home as well.

I've known a lot of southerners that like to put eggs on top of their pancakes and smother the whole shebang with syrup, too. No thanks.

I've known a lot of southerners that like to put eggs on top of their pancakes and smother the whole shebang with syrup, too. No thanks.

Is that a fact? How many?

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

For those having trouble with the fried chicken and waffles concept, the normal way to eat them is with syrup, etc. on the waffles as you like and eating the chicken as one usually does, plain fried. It is difficult not to get a little syrup on the chicken just to see what it tastes like at least once, but putting syrup on the chicken is not required.

Hilditch

43 years in the South I have not seen one person put syrup on their eggs. I do look around in a restaurant and notice things like manners, etc. and when on the road we always hit the best places for brunch like the Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. It’s fun glancing at people with eggs as 99% of them think that the side of a fork is a knife. The other 1% are mostly eating European style with the balance cutting up an egg for a child or actually understanding the difference between the intended use of a knife and a fork.

Down here one does not put syrup, sugar or ketchup on grits or eggs without expecting looks of disapproval from the people around you. It means you are a Yankee. I was surprised you “have known a lot of southerners” who put syrup on their eggs and my BS alarm went off.

Just don’t put syrup on your fried chicken and all will be fine.

Hilditch

This recipe sounds awesome! I've yet to get to use my waffle iron, so perhaps this'll have to be the first one I make.

You don't heat up both sides of the waffle iron?

43 years in the South I have not seen one person put syrup on their eggs. I do look around in a restaurant and notice things like manners, etc. and when on the road we always hit the best places for brunch like the Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. It’s fun glancing at people with eggs as 99% of them think that the side of a fork is a knife. The other 1% are mostly eating European style with the balance cutting up an egg for a child or actually understanding the difference between the intended use of a knife and a fork.

Down here one does not put syrup, sugar or ketchup on grits or eggs without expecting looks of disapproval from the people around you. It means you are a Yankee. I was surprised you “have known a lot of southerners” who put syrup on their eggs and my BS alarm went off.

Just don’t put syrup on your fried chicken and all will be fine.

Hilditch

Please do not imply BS on my part again. That does not sit well with me.

PS: I *am* a Yankee.

Back