ID Help on Gen Pan with Heart Cups

SpurgeonH

Picked this up at an estate sale yesterday. There were two of them. The lady in front me had already picked up the other one and said she was buying it. Rats. The other one looked to be in better shape, looked to be very smooth casting and appeared free of any pitting. This one has some pitting around the edges. Hopefully it's not too bad in the cups.

Anyway, this one has initials in the bottom three cups. (The other one didn't). They are the only marks I can see. The two pans were the same size, 12 inches long.

Anybody know who made this?

https://imgur.com/a/C2H6J

I think I've seen something similar in one of the books... seems like the 'F.W.F' was an acronym for 'faith' something 'wealth?, wellness?' and 'family'.

I think there is mention, in the section on gem pans, about Waterman making one with Faith, Love and Hope on it. Not sure about these initials. I like the idea, though. That's the story I'll tell my wife when she realizes I've bought, yet another, piece of cast iron. "But, honey, I had to buy it! These letters mean "Faith, Wellness and Family" and the 12 hearts represent the fact my heart has had to expand to 12 times it's normal size, just to hold all the love I have for you."

Judging by its appearance I would say it's a recast. Possibly of a Martin #12 gem pan shown on page 214 of the red book with the initials added by whoever cast it.

Jeff, that's why I had to swing by this estate sale. I looked it up on an estate sale app and saw the corner of the gem pan sticking out from under a skillet. I was hoping it was a Martin, but you're right, the casting looks too rough. The other one, the one the lady grabbed, looked like a smoother finish. It might have been a Martin.

But one thing is interesting, the Red Book says the Martin measures 12 3-4 inches long, but a copy of an old Martin catalog lists the measurement at 10 something. I think he catalog has the measurements of the 6 and 12 cups reversed.

Charles, I don't think this one is a John Wright, but it's possible. I think Jeff might be right about it being a recast with the initials of the person who made it. Or, maybe it was a "presentation" piece (still think it is was recast) and it is the initials of the person it was presented to? It really doesn't make sense to have raised letters in a mold. They would be backwards on the gem you made in it! Ha!

The pan I posted in 2015 never did get any action but I have since determined that the one I have is genuine and makes really good heart shaped brownies.
The John Wright pan doesn't tie into the middle row of hearts and most every one I see that I feel certain are Asian made have the same missing tie in at the middle row.
Your pan sure does appear awful rough in appearance thus I think it is a recast from someone's experimenting.
Attached is a pic of the one I have and the related post.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3079&highlight=heart

Yours looks like the one the lady ahead of me got. Looks real to me. Especially if the measurements are correct and the casting is good quality.

Back