Waffle Iron with Wood Handle

SJLuzum

How do I clean this? Lye bath?
How about seasoning? I can't possibly put this in a hot oven?

Any idea on age?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 45
If the handles cannot be safely removed-- they unscrew-- you'll have to work around them. Hang in lye or electro with handles unsubmerged. Seasoning baking would have to be on the stove top. But it is a waffle iron, so just using it, sprayed with oil, should get the seasoning going.

Early 1900s.

Thanks Doug.

Just the wood handles unscrews? Or does the other piece of metal unscrew as well?

What if I submerge the whole thing and work on the handles later? Will the lye ruin the handle or just turn them black?

The metal ferrules are friction fit on the handles, and should turn with them. They are screwed onto long woodscrews cast into the paddles. Question is, will they unscrew without damage. A good penetrating oil may help. I would not submerge them in anything.

Back when I was working on a Favorite waffle iron with steel pinned wood handles I could not get them off no matter how hard I tried.

I used oven cleaner, then electrolysis submerging only the iron. I then used my gas grill to season the irons. The handles were outside the grill protected with foil.

It was an experience I hope not to repeat but it came out well with no damaged to the handles.

Thanks everybody. Then came right off.

Into the lye bath they go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
M. Osborne...

I had the exact same experience seasoning my wok.... wrapped the wood handles in damp cloth (was afraid of burning the wood...note: pre-Mr. Doug's recommendation in this post), then wrapped in aluminum foil (bulky) then on
to the grill for seasoning.... worked perfectly.

Charles

Back