Cause Grandma used lard

I'm new to the collecting aspect of CI but I've had CI in my kitchen for years. My Grandma used lard to season, So I have tried to follow her wisdom. But my results leave me with a greasy skillet when cold. What can I do differently to keep the seasoning but not have the greasy skillet to hang back on the wall.
Here is my way, Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I take the skillet off the wall, "this is where all my CI lives"
Wash with warm water
Warm up on the stove
Add bacon grease
Cook a few eggs
Wipe out with paper towels
When done eating "pan has cooled"
Run hot water in and over pan
Wipe out and heat up on the stove
Wipe in some lard or bacon grease
Increase temp. as I continually wipe skillet until it smokes
Then wipe the bottom with same towel to recoat.
Let cool a few hours then re-hang on wall.
Next morning my skillet is greasy feeling...Is this normal??? or am I screwing up

Tony

You are screwing up. After cooking, wash good with hot water, dry and hang on the wall. Your program after cooking is creating the problem with overkill. Your best seasoning is created while cooking.

Hilditch

Wow, I only wash it if or when it gets really bad. Other than that, I wipe it down only. If all I'm cooking is eggs and bacon in one pan, I've left it alone for days and cooked in the same oil until the bacon fat turns rancid.

Scott

You are screwing up. After cooking, wash good with hot water, dry and hang on the wall. Your program after cooking is creating the problem with overkill. Your best seasoning is created while cooking.

Hilditch

One of the times I (mostly) agree with Hilditch. Get a good seasoning started early on, then just cook with the darn thing. Hot water, a plastic scraper to remove any horrible nasty stuff, dry out and go. Occasionally I will wipe with a little veg oil and wipe out as much as I can with a paper towel to remove all but an irremovable thin layer of oil for mostly my own mental protection as it probably doesn't do much for the iron.

My mother keeps a quarter inch of old oil sitting in the bottom of her pan. Disgusting. Once it's seasoned, unless you are doing something wrong, it really is good to go... even in a horribly humid environment like here on the east coast.

Back