Fake Toy Skillet?

The key characteristic in this case is the sideways gang mold number just outside the heat ring, below the pattern number. Besides much finer casting quality, the real Griswold version, if it has one, will have the gang mold number down on the handle, and oriented the same as the other markings.

haha, I guess I missed the obvious. I swear it didn't say that before. I also remember it being $120. Now it's at a lower price. Or maybe I'm losing it...

haha, I guess I missed the obvious. I swear it didn't say that before. I also remember it being $120. Now it's at a lower price. Or maybe I'm losing it...

You're not losing it. I remember the same thing.

Last edited:
I recently ran into two Grizwold #00 ashtrays, side by side. One was sharp and crisp, the other was of very poor quality. The sharp one was $45 and the poor one was $35. Being new to collecting and having limited funds, I offer $25 for the poor one, just so I could add it to my collection. Lucky for me, my offer was rejected. I have since learned more about fakes and reproduction. Thanks to this site!
I later bought a totally different #00 for $18.
Thanks to everyone on this site.
Tony

Suspicions confirmed. I received an email from eBay last night advertising that the skillet was now on sale 70% off its original $119.95 price.

I have seen these reproductions in antique stores all the time for very high prices. I inform the dealers and they thank me. On my next visit, the pieces are back on display with the high prices still on them. Either they didn't believe me, or they are waiting for some one to buy them anyway.

(Comment) I think, CJ, that such folks believe you are trying to get their "great" item for less; or, they really can't see any difference between what they are trying to sell and what is "real". And, then, there are some buyers who fall into the category of "if they want this much for it, it must be good"!

Back