"The Egg" and CI

JudyKonopka

Hi, I have one of those ceramic patio grills and I was wondering how high I could go with the heat before I encountered warpage. Also, is it OK to let the flames touch the skillet? What is the grilling protocol for grills? Also, I have a nice very old griddle with a tiny surface crack. Would the grill make it worse?

On another note, what does BSR stand for? I've been seeing it on a lot of posts. Thanks!

You probably wouldn't want to cook food at the temp it would require to damage it. Keep it under SCO temps and you should be fine. Flame touching should not hurt. Any use of cast iron should follow the typical protocols-- pre-heat evenly, don't rapidly cool a hot piece, etc. Extremely high heat "may" affect an already cracked piece.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/glossary.php for your second question.

From my limited understanding, the larger CI pieces can be damaged from heating too quickly.

I have a Big Green Egg also, and sear steak at 650F+, and it can be a blast furnace if you're not careful. This isn't like a cast iron bot belly. The shape of the Egg allow for temps in excess of 1000F, and yes, I've measured it personally.

So while I'm intrigued and excited to try some CI cooking on charcoal, I'm only starting with controlled temps and small CI pieces.

The Egg doesn't necessarily lend itself to a slow warm-up opportunity.

Ted, I had to remove your image because it was linked to directly from Amazon. Only images hosted on a server account that belongs to either you or me should be used. Otherwise, it constitutes something known as "bandwidth theft".

I have found from unfortunate experience that high heat and cast iron do not mix. Have a brick oven in my back yard. Temps can get way over a thousand degrees. Decided to fire it up one night and get it so hot that the brick glowed. Then stuck a Lodge cast iron dutch oven in it to cook stew!! Duhhh...not a good idea. Burned the stew and warped the cast iron. On well....live and learn!!

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 23
Heck-

I warm my pans before I use them, and only clean after cooled again. I spent a lot to get perfect pans

The best thing I have for my Egg is the Cast Iron grill plate they sell for it. I never use the one that came with it anymore.

The cast iron plate setter, you mean? I'd post a pic, but we can't.

I've been looking at that also. One of the Brethren at BBQ Brethren Forum just bought one. Waiting to hear how he likes it.

So how do you like it?

Back