Finally, Another one from my home state of California.

RickC

A while back I picked up an American Brass & Iron chicken fryer & lid. Combined they probably weigh 50lbs. Was not impressed with the casting, & really not impressed by the weight being as I had to lug it all the way out of the flea market with a few other pieces. You can see it HERE if you really want to.

BUT... A few weeks ago, on my way out of the flea market. Tired, Hot (It's been around 100f here for months) I spotted two pieces sitting on top of an old suitcase. On enameled, and one that looked like it had alligator skin on the outside, and about 1/8" coat of still runny oil/grease on the inside. *Yuck* I couldn't tell what brand it was, but the smooth inside, and the handle had me curious. "How Much?" "Five dollars" "Sold"

I brought it home, and too curious to wait for the lye to do it's thing, I scrapped off just enough of the 1/4" thick crud off the bottom at the 12 o' clock position that I could see:

FROW
RE
A

COOL!!!! A piece made 60 miles down the road from me. It's not old, it's not particularly rare, it's not the greatest thing I've found lately, but I like it.

1 week in the lye, about half the crud came off, after 2 weeks, all clean.

Curious about exactly how much crud was on it, I weighed the skillet before and after cleaning. 2574 grams before, 2460 grams after.

Renfrow Ware L.A. No. 8 Skillet.

Renfrow-Ware-LA-No8-Skillet-bottom,medium_large.1444800645.jpg

Renfrow-Ware-LA-No8-Skillet-top,medium_large.1444800640.jpg

Good for you! I like that chicken fryer too. The first I've seen that could comfortably handle one of todays 4 to 5 lb. chickens without cutting the breasts in half and the shape is perfect. My 3 qt. is much happier with a half of a chicken.

Hilditch

Nice find. This is what I like about collecting CI, you don't have to have what everyone else has. You just have to have what you like.

Nice find. This is what I like about collecting CI, you don't have to have what everyone else has. You just have to have what you like.

Have no fear, RickC has the collection only a hunter like RickC can score. You should see his egg video in one of his cast iron skillets. Top of the line.:covri:

Sorry RickC for spilling the beans, I could not control myself.

Have no fear, RickC has the collection only a hunter like RickC can score. You should see his egg video in one of his cast iron skillets. Top of the line.:covri:

Sorry RickC for spilling the beans, I could not control myself.

No worries. I pick up what I like, and leave the rest behind for someone else. I may have an eclectic collection but it's MY collection. Slowly but surely working my way through getting it all cleaned up so I can use all of it whenever I want.

RickC - cool find...not familiar with the brand, but like we say, it is the thrill of finding CI like this. Anyway to tell approximate year of manufacture?

Back