Ever screw up a recipe?

RobM

Started making fresh pumpkin pies last year, modemac's recipe makes for a pretty good pie.
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Cast_Iron_Pumpkin_Pie

Made two 11 inchers last night for today's supper at friends, crust came out beautiful, looked great sitting in my old cast iron. Made a 3rd small one for us, thankfully we tried it...

Ever eat pumpkin pie without sugar? Thought I had forgot something. Ewwww.

Round two begins shortly...

Yes. However I erase them from my mind so I can't say what they were now.

Even though I have made our daily bread recipe almost 100 times I'm still afraid to make it without following the written recipe. (connect - Oh yea, leaving the salt out of a 4 loaf batch of Italian bread is not a good idea.)

Hilditch

GF is determined to save them. She tried it this morning with whipped cream, and loves it.

2 x 11" and a pair of number 3's in the oven now.

Well, works much better with sugar added :-D Fresh out of the oven, they'll darken while they set.

Attachments

• pumpkin2.JPG
    pumpkin2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 31
I like that salt & pepper. A little butter, maybe some cheese and there is a squash side dish. Refried?

Unfortunately the North American aborigines determined long long ago that one could only take eating just so much pumpkin before choosing to starve to death.

Hilditch

Ewww, no.

The pies were a hit, not allowed to take the leftovers home.

Have to make banana bread and skillet brownie with salted caramel for supper tomorrow. Then Monday it's homemade pizza's for 15 peeps. Thanksgiving weekend here, no shortage of suppers. Ate so much this evening the belly is hurting.

I did a throw together diner in the cast iron last week. The usual culinary culprits: some beef cut up, potatoes, carrots, onion, turnips and parsnips. It all turned out great except for the sweetness imparted by either/or the turnips/parsnips. It wasn't so sweet it could not be eaten, BUT, I would have rather not had the sweetness. Also, forgot the celery. Senility in search of things to fix!

Live and Learn.

I did a throw together diner in the cast iron last week. The usual culinary culprits: some beef cut up, potatoes, carrots, onion, turnips and parsnips. It all turned out great except for the sweetness imparted by either/or the turnips/parsnips. It wasn't so sweet it could not be eaten, BUT, I would have rather not had the sweetness. Also, forgot the celery. Senility in search of things to fix!

Live and Learn.

If that happens again, try just a dash of vinegar. Not so much that you can taste it... just use it as a seasoning, as you would use salt.

A gallon of beef stew with 6 medium carrots normally asks for wine or 1/4 cup of vinegar to offset the sweetness of the carrots. One large carrot will fix two gallons of spaghetti sauce that is tart. A little sugar and a carrot go a long way.

Hilditch

I have found the same to be true. Sugar like salt inhances flavor. Carrots added to soups is common but added to chilli or tomato sauce some times is over looked. It's a good addition.

Yep for the big ones. I grow carrots along with other things. Last crop was chant illy red which are big, stumpy and sweet. I will pull them out and use elsewhere once you get the sweetness you want. Most of the time I roast them in a cast iron skillet in the oven or the smoker along with other root vegs.

Yep for the big ones. I grow carrots along with other things. Last crop was chant illy red which are big, stumpy and sweet. I will pull them out and use elsewhere once you get the sweetness you want. Most of the time I roast them in a cast iron skillet in the oven or the smoker along with other root vegs.

Smoked veggies? Do tell, never had them.

My first corn roast was a shock. All they had was corn! Roasted in the husk on a BBQ. Peel the husks back for a handle, dip it in a pot of butter, a little salt and pepper and that smoked flavor was wonderful. A few beers and a few ears made for a whole lot of happy people.

I can’t think of a veggie that would get hurt by a little smoke.

Hilditch

Back