What to do after cooking in CI skillet

LarryB

OK this may be the dumbest question ever posted here,but I am compelled to ask "what do I do to the CI skillet after I use it and clean it?" Should I re-season it or jet wipe it down with crisco solid or do simply do nothing and put it away. The silence concerning this questions deafening or did I miss the answer?

Once again ,thank you very much for you rapid response. that is the information that I needed. Thank You Doug!

I agree with Doug's recipe to keep it in tip-top shape. I use a few different methods with mine just to try to keep upkeep to a bare minimum.

(I should mention I do these steps after the pan is fully cooled on its own.)

I used to boil water in my skillets as well to loosen stuck on food, but I have found something else that has worked wonders for me. Lodge actually makes plastic scrapers that are great at taking off particles without damaging any seasoning (link: http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-accessories/pan-scraper-SCRAPERPK). They have just the right curves on them that they can scrape the flat sidewall of the pan, as well as getting into the corner where the sidewall meets the bottom of the cooking surface. After a bit of scraping they may get a bit greasy on the scraping edge, and you may want to clean the scraper itself.

After I use the scraper, I have a very hard bristled plastic scrub brush I use to take off any small particles that the scraper has missed.

After the cleaning, sometimes I also heat it back up to get rid of any moisture - but I have found since my items are very well seasoned (every day use), that simply drying them with a rag, towel, paper towel generally gets rid of any moisture that I would be worried about. This also may have to do with the climate of Texas being extremely dry - I guess it may not work out as well in wetter climates.

After drying, I typically hit the skillet with Pam cooking spray (w/Canola Oil in it) lightly and wipe the Pam thinly with a new paper towel while the skillet is still warm from the hot water used in the cleaning process.

This may be the lazy man's way of caring for your skillet compared to Doug's very thorough way, but so far seems to have worked out for me with no issues. Of course ymmv.

Thank you Travis,you can never have too much knowledge. I live in Arizona so your tips will be well used.
Thanks again,Larry

Back